Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunting was extremely tough on us this year, but Dad and I both managed good birds. Taken on two farms 7 miles apart, they fell within 25 minutes of each other on the Tuesday of opening week. Mine was a pretty typical two year old with 1" spurs, 19.5#s, and a pretty decent 10.5" beard. Dad's was a three year old weighing in at 23#s, 1+" spurs, and a heavy 10" beard.

I'll let Dad tell his story, and here's mine....Quickest hunt I ever had! Bird gobbled for the first time at 6:05 and was laying dead at 6:11. He must have literally run to where I was after my first call. Got to spend about a minute watching a tremendous expo of strutting, drumming and gobbling all at about 25 yds. Finally shot him at 18 steps with a load of Winchester Extended Range #6s. He fell HARD!

For those of you who still can, hunt with your Dads! We got to spend another day together in the woods this week and although no shots were fired, it was absolutely wonderful just to have some of that quality time together in God's beautiful creation. Never know when that time will end and I encourage you all to take advantage of the time you have together.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Not much of a story to tell on my part. After not hearing a single gobble on Monday, I finally heard this one gobblin' Tuesday AM at daylight. He was roosted with a buddy on the creek bank about 350 yards across the field from where I set up. In text book fashion, I called a couple of times, he gobbled, and within 10 minutes he was sitting in my lap.

Thanks for posting the pictures son. We sure made some good deposits in our memory banks this year in Missouri!

·
Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,049 Posts
Congrats to both of you- enjoyed the post and your advice on hunting with your dad- sure wish I still had that option, those that you that do Take advantage now!!!Even if you dont have a harvest you will have a memory and when its all said and done thats what really matters!

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
Congrats to both of you!!:clap: My Dad is the one that got me into huntin' years ago, and for a long time was my best huntin' buddy. He now can only get around a little on a walker. I really miss spending time in the woods with him....CHERISH IT!!!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
nice birds:thumb: congrats to you and your pops.

MO HUNTER used to stay up around Springfield. he is a south arkie now, but i am gonna send him and his chicken killin dog back!!!!:fit: :fit: BG12
Great area to hunt over in Mt G and Cabool area, fine birds you got. I was born and raised chasin' dem MO birds, and only thing I saw that had spurs down here in SO ARK was dat dadgum rooster in BG's yard. Better than an inch I swear to it...I cant even claim killin it.. was my dog that did it...but Ms BG was glad that got here some purdy feathers though.. It'd be a long walk back from WY BG.... Congrats on those MO birds again, glad you had a good time with yer dad too. :clap:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.