Arkansas Hunting banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I had a neighbor down the road that used to run a bait shop. He would throw the dead minnows out and a fox or foxes would come to eat them. Each spring, a fox would always have a litter of pups nearby. She would bring the pups with her when they got older. I dont know how long they live, but there was a fox and pups there each spring for five or six years. Usually start out with four pups. By the time they were 3/4 grown, there wouldnt be any left. I think only one year did she ever raise a pup past 3/4 grown - and that year, three of the original four made it.

I used to have a fox that made a regular appearance in my tomato patch. But I also had a 20 lb tomcat and the fox and the tomcat tied up on several occasions - and the tomcat always got the upper hand from what I saw. I caught a fox in a dog proof trap a few years ago - and I havent got a picture of one since.
They seem to be food opportunistic. Meaning they will come up and feed around a house if the food is there. I remember we had one at the FD that would eat our scraps. Every shift we’d place a plate at end of ramp and two wound come in and clean the plate up. I wonder if they would make a good pet if you found a pup? I’m betting they would if you got them young. I remember back as a kid my neighbor had 4 young coyote pups and you literally had to wear welding gloves to handle them. They were absolutely mean.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
They seem to be food opportunistic. Meaning they will come up and feed around a house if the food is there. I remember we had one at the FD that would eat our scraps. Every shift we’d place a plate at end of ramp and two wound come in and clean the plate up. I wonder if they would make a good pet if you found a pup? I’m betting they would if you got them young. I remember back as a kid my neighbor had 4 young coyote pups and you literally had to wear welding gloves to handle them. They were absolutely mean.
If you can get them when they're young enough a fox will absolutely make a great pet. I had a friend growing up that had a little red fox and that joker was the coolest thing ever, he was mischievous as any animal I've ever seen but he was very sweet and extremely smart. I don't remember everything he had taught him but it would do all kinds of stuff just like a dog, that thing made some of the craziest noises I've ever heard too lol.

·
Premium Member
23,118 Posts
Look up weave on tic tock she’s a pet yote

·
Registered
11,841 Posts
Pretty cool little critters. I have a soft spot for them. If it was me I would leave it be. I've killed a few and I always feel bad when I walk up to them. Tiny, fragile little animals. I'm like, why did I shoot this?

I know they are a problem in some areas and need control, just not where I live.
I feel the same way, never killed one. Used to see Fox quite often on the camera's in my back yard...right up to my porch. I never bothered them, they caused no problems. I'm sure they helped keep the mice population in check. :)

·
Premium Member
33,502 Posts
They are a Chicken Farmers worst night mare..
Have a Neighbor that Raises chicken for the eggs and they have a Terrible Time with them..
A Nuisance.......guess we need to Quit feeding them Squirrel and Fish reminates....

41 - 48 of 48 Posts