Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been watching these foxes for the last month. What I’ve found interesting is the deer don’t seem to mind them unless they get close and move fast. The coons don’t mind them also. It’s been pretty neat watching them. I don’t know if it’s female and male but they must have some den close.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Fawn
F

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I’ve been watching these foxes for the last month. What I’ve found interesting is the deer don’t seem to mind them unless they get close and move fast. The coons don’t mind them also. It’s been pretty neat watching them. I don’t know if it’s female and male but they must have some den close.
View attachment 344456 F
Too bad there isn’t a Forrest Fire!

·
Premium Member
17,590 Posts
That's cool. Gray fox are one of the coolest animals to watch while they hunt. Growing up there was a pair that stayed around our house and got to watch them often. Great mousers!

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's cool. Gray fox are one of the coolest animals to watch while they hunt. Growing up there was a pair that stayed around our house and got to watch them often. Great mousers!
We had a pair in a field by our house too and for three years they raised a litter there by a overgrown power pole. Pretty cool to watch the pups

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I had one living under my shed for a while. He used to come to the front porch at night to eat the cat’s food. It never seemed to bother the cats. Sometimes they would watch him from 3 feet away.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
We used to live on a street named fox hills. Oddly enough, when we first moved in, there was big field across street, big wood pile and creek bed with willows all around. The kids would ride bikes/wheelers around field and one day they come running up to me saying the saw 8 coyotes on trail. So I went out there with them, and it was a family of foxes. They had big den in wood pile. We watched em all summer, little ones grew up and come fall they were all gone. They would come eat deer corn almost every eveing. It was neat watching them play around.

·
Registered
17,231 Posts
Pretty cool little critters. I have a soft spot for them. If it was me I would leave it be. I've killed a few and I always feel bad when I walk up to them. Tiny, fragile little animals. I'm like, why did I shoot this?

I know they are a problem in some areas and need control, just not where I live.

·
Premium Member
29,421 Posts
That is one of the few predators in my area that have declined. Rarely do I see one anymore. The few that are left mostly live in peoples yards where they feed them. Probably been two years since I got a game camera pic of one. Havent seen a red fox in years. And our mink are gone. Probably havent seen a mink in ten years.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
That is one of the few predators in my area that have declined. Rarely do I see one anymore. The few that are left mostly live in peoples yards where they feed them. Probably been two years since I got a game camera pic of one. Havent seen a red fox in years. And our mink are gone. Probably havent seen a mink in ten years.
Greys all over south Arkansas thick. Pines are full of em. No reds cause they can’t climb trees like greys, so the coyotes eat em. All your mink got eaten by gators. Mom had a whole family of them for years. She threw leftovers over the back fence. Lotta biscuits. One day a grey shows up. Lil Biscuit Eater. Few months later she brings her new family to the table. Mom called em little SOBS. Sons of Biscuit Eater. You could just almost feed em from your hand. Easily sit in the yard and toss em pieces from 5ft away. This was in Florida. I like the way they smell.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
I had one living under my shed for a while. He used to come to the front porch at night to eat the cat’s food. It never seemed to bother the cats. Sometimes they would watch him from 3 feet away.
There's a red fox around my house. Havent seen him much lately, but one winter he'd walk through my yard right by the house at dusk just about every night. My neighbor was working in his garage, and heard a big ruckus. That red fox was killing his cat in his driveway in broad daylight.
At first I thought, I ought to shoot that fox; but then I realized the fox was right. There's too dang many cats around here.

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pretty cool little critters. I have a soft spot for them. If it was me I would leave it be. I've killed a few and I always feel bad when I walk up to them. Tiny, fragile little animals. I'm like, why did I shoot this?

I know they are a problem in some areas and need control, just not where I live.
I kinda feel the same way. I’ve never had them consistent on the land until this year and they sure seem to love the area. The deer will feed around them and kinda keep an eye on them , but most part them seem ok.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts