Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of redoing my boat. I'm looking at the raptor liner for the interior. My question is if I install the black liner, can I then paint it to match the hull?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Paint will stick to the Raptor very well. I did my Raptor liner and paint last summer and it has held up very well. I used the Sherwin Williams KEM 400 paint.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Ok question, you putting the liner in for what reason????

Can you mix the paint with the liner liquid and it color it??

Will the paint not make the liner slick?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The guy at sherwin williams thought it was a bad idea to tint it with the kem 400 and I have not been able to find what paint to tint it with. I'm putting to liner in for traction.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You can get a tintable version of Raptor Liner. I believe it is a white base color and there will be less of it in each bottle to allow for the paint tint. It is made to be tinted with urethane automotive base coat paint.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I think you have to use automotive paint. House paints dont cut it. I saw something on tv a while back where a crew was doing the bed of a truck and they use automotive paint.

google
raptor bed liner instructions, you will get a pdf. Tells about using white tintable.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only issue I have with the tintable is finding matching paint. I've already painted the hull with sherwin williams. Any suggestions on where to get matching automotive paint?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Is there a raptor liner dealer in Arkansas?
When I was getting my boat paint at the industrial Sherwin Williams in Little Rock they had it. It was around $120 for four bottles. If you buy it online you can get the kit with the spray gun included for $120 shipped. I got my kit on eBay.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paint will stick to the Raptor very well. I did my Raptor liner and paint last summer and it has held up very well. I used the Sherwin Williams KEM 400 paint.
I'm trying to decide if I should go with tintable or the black. I'm having a hard time finding information on what type paint to mix. How long after you sprayed yours did you paint it and is it slick at all?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm trying to decide if I should go with tintable or the black. I'm having a hard time finding information on what type paint to mix. How long after you sprayed yours did you paint it and is it slick at all?
Any automotive paint supplier should be able to fix you up. If you are doing the tintable kind you're supposed to use a standard automotive base coat paint with no binders for the strongest cure. You should be able to have a pint of paint mixed up which should be all you need for mixing with the liner. I think I let my black liner cure for a day before I painted over it. The finished liner is definitely not slick. The texture of the finish will vary with how much air pressure you spray it with and how far you keep your gun from what you are spraying.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found out you need a urathane base paint for the tint. I got the paint matched and am going to try the tintable when we get 2 warm days in a row.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I personally wouldn't use urethane paint on a duck boat. We just spray the black liner and wait about 30-45 minutes and shoot the base coat and stencils with Kem and be done. Urethane paint is hard and not flexible. Not to mention its expensive as well. My .02

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Cache do you use the raptor liner?
Have before for a few buddies. It works good and they haven't had a problem with it. Most all of the liners are urethane rubber just like rhino liner and line x truck bed liners. The kem 400 paint is by far the best I've seen for boats. Dries fast and has enough flexibility it doesn't chip or crack. The urethane paint would hold good but it doesn't flex and would start cracking eventually. And its cost would break a man painting a boat!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have before for a few buddies. It works good and they haven't had a problem with it. Most all of the liners are urethane rubber just like rhino liner and line x truck bed liners. The kem 400 paint is by far the best I've seen for boats. Dries fast and has enough flexibility it doesn't chip or crack. The urethane paint would hold good but it doesn't flex and would start cracking eventually. And its cost would break a man painting a boat!!
I'm using the urathane as a tint, not a top coat. It should take less than a quart to do the boat. I got a quart of the paint at oriellys for $32. I did use the kem to paint the hull.

·
Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>http://www.facebook.com
107 Posts
It may make the raptor real hard. I spray SuperLiner bed liner. I put about 10oz of Kem to a gallon of liner. Never had a problem. Have sprayed a lot of raptor. Used black an just painted it in about 30 mins.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts