Overslept!!

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by seymore whitetail, Jan 8, 2011.

Have you ever overslept and messed up a hunt?

Poll closed Jan 15, 2011.
  1. yes

71 vote(s)
    83.5%
  2. no

14 vote(s)
    16.5%
  1. seymore whitetail

seymore whitetail Well-Known Member

So have you ever overslept? After getting in late last night from a basketball game looked at my phone and picked a preset alarm for me and my oldest son to get up and kill some ducks then crashed. Well I woke up and looked at the clock and it was 5:15! Checked my phone because I never heard it go off and had set it to go off at 3:15pm!!!Crap! Went anyway but ended up going to a place where there was little water and NO DUCKS!! Could have killed a couple of gadwall but was trying to get my son a shot.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. Nuge Fan

Nuge Fan Well-Known Member

this year at felsenthal on the gun permit hunt, i set the alrm on my phone, but it died during the night. I had told my cousin to set his alarm too but he didn't. My dad woke up a little after first light and sat up and asked is anybody going to hunt today. We all scrambled around trying to get dressed and get out there.

3. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

yep, my alarm has mysteriously not went off more than once over the years. I have to set the phone about ten feet from the bed so I don't hit snooze and roll back over.

4. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

My alarm has screwed me on more than one occasion, but not this year:up:

5. mathewsman07

mathewsman07 Well-Known Member

Yep this morning I woke up at first light after over sleeping so I jump up get dressed and head to the stand I get there and there is a truck parked in the way unloading dogs going hog hunting I was a little mad at first but I just jumped on with them and ended having a good day hog hunting.

6. duck

duck Well-Known Member

I always set a wined up clock as a back up. No excuses on messing up someone elses hunt. They could have slept in to but they got up and are sitting there waiting on you.:banghead:

7. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

Never. Same goes for work or anything else. I set two alarms every night. When camp hunting I use a wind up a battery opperated one and my cell phones alarm.
    If I tell someone I will be there at 0500, Im there at 0445. And if someone tells me they will meet me at 0500 I will leave at 0505 without them if they are not there yet. Daylight waits on no one.

8. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

many times!!!:doh:

9. Yep, here it is mid-season (basketball) and your burnin' that candle at both ends..:fit:
    Ate at Who Dats tonight and thought about you and your Dad.. Sure was good..:up:

10. seymore whitetail

Yeah Polywog ended up ONLY going to games on Mon, Tues, Thur, Fri and Sat but I love it!! Been wanting to go to Who Dat's lately. Had an idea this week and I'll send you a pm getting your idea on it.

11. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

I answered yes to oversleeping, but don't really think I've ever ruined a hunt.....just started a great hunt later!:wink:

I think of one time during bow season I overslept and was late getting to the woods. It was daylight before I got to the mountains, but I spotted a flock of turkeys feeding not far off the road. After parking and slipping off the hill, I busted them up and sat down. After a few minutes, the started talking and I jumped in with them. A jake got excited and gobbled 2 times, even though it sounded more like a dog barking. He showed up at 25 steps and my arrow sailed over his back. If I hadn't overslept, that hunt wouldn't have happened.

It seems as though these days, I can pop up and be ready quick if the kids are wanting to hunt. If it's just me hunting it's not as easy.

12. pbbowman

pbbowman Well-Known Member

Over slept twice this year going bowhunting. Went anyway.

13. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    :up:
    I swear it's good luck to oversleep.

14. JimiC

JimiC Well-Known Member

If you're early, you're on time.
    If you're on time, you're late.
    If you're late, you're left.
    :biggrin:

15. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

Well put my friend! :thumb:

16. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

Mine has done that before, must be a glitch. :fit:

17. Tink

Tink Platinum Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Te

I have done it many times an the worse at gettting up. :banghead:

18. seymore whitetail

Yeah Juice your right didn't really ruin the hunt just didn't get there in time to get a good spot!

19. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

I remember one time over sleeping the opening day of MG and it was one of the best hunting days I'd ever had. I was fully rested and after I got done cussing my self I just relaxed and enjoyed the day.

20. jdrake19

jdrake19 Well-Known Member

Once when I was in high school I failed to get up when my alarm went off and missed a great duck hunt with a couple high school buddies. The next day we planned another hunt and I was scared I was going to miss it. I couldn't sleep so about 11pm I went to my neighbors house where I thought we were gonna leave from and slept on their front porch so I knew I wouldn't miss the hunt. Turns out they had spent the night at their grand parents house and came by my house to pick me up but I wasn't outside.

Their dad came out to get the paper at 6am and was pretty confused. I was too. He offered me a bed inside but I was so mad I just went back to sleep on the porch.

Funny now, not so funny back then. :fit: