Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...I'm new to the site. This is my first post. One thing that has bothered me for several years is the over limit poaching that goes on during the season. I for one can sit here and think of several guys in my area that kill as many gobblers as they can get away with EVERY season.....longbeards or jakes.....they don't discriminate. It's common knowledge in the area who these guys are. They do it every year and have for years. I've never understood why the local game wardens don't watch every move these guys make. It wouldn't be that hard to catch somebody that does it over and over EVERY year. I feel like this has just as much impact on our declining turkey numbers as anything else, i.e., bad hatches....etc. What do y'all think? Thanks for lending me an ear.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
I read a story last year on another website about a guy that the Federal Game Wardens, busted (he lived in Virginia I think.) He was turkey hunting almost everyday of the season and killing birds like they were his on personal property. They said that he had beards tacked all the way around the top of the wall in his living room and he had photo albums full of birds that he had killed illegally. A turkey is a federal bird so it might be helpful to drop them an ear if the AGFC isn't doing anything about them being poached illegally.

·
Super Moderator
13,956 Posts
If/when you KNOW it's going on, call the local wildlife officer. The officers have their hands full and they can't catch everyone who violates the law. A little help from the public can take care of many of these problems. Of course, most folks don't want to get "involved."

·
Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner
2,655 Posts
First off, they have to be identified to the local authorities.

Even if everybody knows who they are a complaint needs to be registered with the AGFC else there may be no incentive to take the time to watch, pattern and catch the offenders in the act.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Anyways you would really be suprised how many turkeys are killed illegal each year. That is one of my main reasons why I wish jakes were outlawed. Bye outlawing jakes it would make the outlaws think twice, before they shot a bird they would recieve an additional ticket for. They would also loose all bragging rights they thought they had by killing a jake.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,488 Posts
Hey guys...I'm new to the site. This is my first post. One thing that has bothered me for several years is the over limit poaching that goes on during the season. I for one can sit here and think of several guys in my area that kill as many gobblers as they can get away with EVERY season.....longbeards or jakes.....they don't discriminate. It's common knowledge in the area who these guys are. They do it every year and have for years. I've never understood why the local game wardens don't watch every move these guys make. It wouldn't be that hard to catch somebody that does it over and over EVERY year. I feel like this has just as much impact on our declining turkey numbers as anything else, i.e., bad hatches....etc. What do y'all think? Thanks for lending me an ear.
Anybody that stupid must be awful low on self esteem, and think that adds some inches to their "manhood" but guess what....it doesn't! It just show what a stupid selfish bunch of dumba$$e$ they are. See...even you aren't impressed!:wink:

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
Only migratory birds are federally regulated.
Turkeys are not.

Poaching is a problem, and I blame the hunting shows on TV. I blame the media!
They glorify turkey hunting. I wish it weren't on TV. But it is, and we can't stop the train.

Selfish????? Yes I am.

I love turkeys, with all my heart and soul.

These poachers dont. They just want the glory that goes with beating the smartest bird in the world.

Dear Mr. Poacher:

Oh, big man, hear me! You aint squat!
Yes, the turkey is the smartest, warriest, critter in the woods. But you have something no other creature in the woods has. You, my dim-witted friend, have the power to reason, and an opposing thumb.

So you see even if your IQ is only 62 and your kids are using my money (through welfare) to eat, you are still not as wise, or as gifted as a turkey. You are just gifted with the power of reason, which in turn, no matter how ignorant you are, should make you smarter than a turkey!

Let me chase your shallow mind throught the woods, and you, you ,will be the turkey. Wanna try my game?

A Wild Turkey is one of the few critters on this plannet that has no real allies. EVERYTHING wants to eat him. From Owls, to Bobcats, from Ticks to hawks, from hunters to wild hogs, from coyotes to coons.
That is why he is so wary. It has been said if turkeys could smell, no one would ever kill one! This is almost true.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The reason many people do not turn them in is fear of retaliation. I once called the warden and told on a poacher and guess what. The warden disclosed his source to a family member and it got back to the violator. It really put me in a tight spot. Very unprofessional warden if you ask me. So what are we to do? Put up with the poaching I suppose.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
. I once called the warden and told on a poacher and guess what. The warden disclosed his source to a family member and it got back to the violator. It really put me in a tight spot. Very unprofessional warden if you ask me. So what are we to do? Put up with the poaching I suppose.
If that happened to me, and I was positive he told the guys family it was me, I would go up the ladder to the head guy if I had to. It might not do any good, but I'm sure that breaks policy. Any warden that does that should be fired, thats like a cop tipping of his dope-dealing buddies before a bust. It ain't right or fair, but it happens and is usually hard if not impossible to prove him guilty and he lose his job.

That being said, I figure most would not do this, but I also know of one that "protects" his interest occasionly even if it violates the AGFC laws. He has been reported before but again its hard if not impossible to prove his guilt. Who knows, might be the same one.

But again, most do a good job with their limited manpower and resources, and most can be trusted.

·
Registered
11,266 Posts
Bruin,
I'm gonna have to argue with you about the hunting shows being one of the big causes for over the limit turkey poaching.
I'm sure that all the media attention doesn't help matters any but killing way over the limit of turkeys was happening around here well before hunting shows became popular.
One thing for sure though, the turkey hunting shows have sure helped fill the woods up with some weekend warrior hunters.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,488 Posts
I had a checkbook one time, and my wife came to me and said: "don't write no more checks, there's no money left" and I asked her, how can that be(?) I still got plenty of checks left:confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.