Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being low man on the totem pole at work can definitely be challenging. I usually am able to get the first week of Turkey season off but this year some simpleton who has never Turkey hunted and thought " oh I might give it a shot " burned that week for me. So I got the week of April the 8th. I put in for a permit at Camp Robinson, I'm not sure how that will turn out. After reading part of Thompson's thread I'm not sure if I wanna stick around here or not. Anyone got any suggestions as to a good place to go?

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
Oklahoma opens the 6th. My schedule has me off that week so I am going there for my first hunt this year. Oklahoma is great, just go as far west as you can. I hunt Packsaddle. Its at the far western end of OK.
I will likely hunt there for 5 days and then head to Kansas for the opener. 3 days in Kansas and back here for our opener and that dang work thing. :)

You aint turkey hunted till you been out west to chase Rio's. It is so much fun. I live for it.

·
Registered
14,024 Posts
Oklahoma has a pretty good maps available for their WMAs on their website. There's a lot of them. There's also a good turkey density map available on their website.
Seems like Black Kettle National Grasslands gets a lot of attention, but probably more pressure bc of that.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Going west for the week and returning for the opening weekend in AR sounds like a great plan to me. If your schedule works out I would be ready to roll on that Friday and have a plan mapped out, but research backup options in case plan A does not meet expectations. You will probably have some restless nights that week before.

·
Registered
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man I tell ya what. I was researching info on OK and Kansas. I think ice even got the hook up on some private land in OK. Then as looking at my calendar I see that Easter is on the 8th so that puts a little hiccup in my plans since Kansas opens on the 11th. I don't want to hunt OK for just two days then run to Kansas. So I'm thinking I may just spend the week in OK and then maybe try Kansas next year.

·
Forum Sponsor<br>Member
32 Posts
Our turkey hunting was on fire as late as the end of May.If you could hear them you could kill them.So many guys want to hunt around opening day ,but I'll tell you it only got better the later the season got...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Turkey Hunts

I take a week in April and guide at the River Ridge Outfitters in Carroll county in northern Missouri; he usually has 4 to 5 clients lined up for me every year and I get to hunt for free plus stay at a beautiful lodge with all of the meals provided for the week; always hunt the 2nd week in Missouri b/c that's when you can kill 2 turkeys; have been guiding now for 6 years out there and it's a blast; also guided for 3 years in west OK at Drop Tine Outfitters and got to hunt those rio's; there are a ton of turkeys out in west OK; hoping to someday guide for an outfitter in Mississippi and Alabama; can't wait for the big shin-dig in Nashville at the NWTF convention; hope to get to meet some outfitters from those states;

I love deer hunting but nothing compares to turkey hunting; would give up deer hunting in a blink of an eyeball if I had to choose between the 2; those thunder gobbles at daybreak is pure medicine for my soul.........rem

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
If my work will allow it we are going to try and hunt Wyoming or Montana , maybe south Dakota. Went to mt rushmore labor day weekend and seen a bunch of birds I'm the natl forest there.

·
Registered
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I take a week in April and guide at the River Ridge Outfitters in Carroll county in northern Missouri; he usually has 4 to 5 clients lined up for me every year and I get to hunt for free plus stay at a beautiful lodge with all of the meals provided for the week; always hunt the 2nd week in Missouri b/c that's when you can kill 2 turkeys; have been guiding now for 6 years out there and it's a blast; also guided for 3 years in west OK at Drop Tine Outfitters and got to hunt those rio's; there are a ton of turkeys out in west OK; hoping to someday guide for an outfitter in Mississippi and Alabama; can't wait for the big shin-dig in Nashville at the NWTF convention; hope to get to meet some outfitters from those states;

I love deer hunting but nothing compares to turkey hunting; would give up deer hunting in a blink of an eyeball if I had to choose between the 2; those thunder gobbles at daybreak is pure medicine for my soul.........rem
REM I couldn't agree more with that last statement. Theres nothing like hearing a big ole gobbler tearing it up on a spring morning.

I'm about settled on hunting Black Kettle WMA and Roger Mills co. in Oklahoma. Man I can't wait to post a pic of me holding a big Rio from the back side!!!!!!!

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
Oklahoma has come out with a new WMA Atlas. You have to call them to buy it though. It is supposed to be better than the last one they made which was very good. I ordered mine yesterday.

The number is 405-521-3856

1 - 14 of 14 Posts