Out-of-State Hunts/ Bustem or Let Them Walk?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by jmbknvc1, Feb 5, 2018.

Where Jakes are legal on Out-of-State hunts - Bustem or Let Them Walk?

1. Bustem

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. Let Them Walk

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  1. y hunt

y hunt Super Moderator Staff Member

Turkey hunting to me is all about the beard and spurs. So I would not shoot a Jake any where. That is just me. I have no problem with others that choose to shoot a Jake.

Dermott, 4hunting and jmbknvc1 like this.
  2. 214Duckhunter

214Duckhunter Well-Known Member

I'm like FB, I didn't drive 10 hours and pay $300 to come home with an empty cooler. I'm not intentionally seeking them out but if they walk in front of my pretty hen decoy, all bets are off.

F B and jmbknvc1 like this.

3. ARtreehugga

ARtreehugga Well-Known Member

Kill em all and stomp the eggs

MO HUNTER likes this.
  4. ARtreehugga

ARtreehugga Well-Known Member

Kidding but I’ve killed my fair share of jakes in the past. Not what I’m after now but when the clocks winding down on a trip and I have tags in my pocket, my love for fried breast usually takes over

5. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

I’ve never killed a Jake and don’t plan on starting.

6. Punkinseed

Punkinseed Well-Known Member

Se ark
    IMG_7898.jpg
    I didn't think I'd shoot another til i ate supper tonight...

7. jmbknvc1

jmbknvc1 Well-Known Member

Shooting sure looks and taste better than the growling of an empty belly. :D:D:D

8. OuachitaMtnMan

OuachitaMtnMan Well-Known Member

Arkansas
    Jakes sure taste better but I'll prob give em a pass. One year in OK, all I could get on were Jakes so I'd call em in, run em off, reposition and do it again. It was fun the first couple times.

9. Punkinseed

Punkinseed Well-Known Member

Se ark
    How does james feel about this mountain man?

10. GOBBLERSTOPPER

GOBBLERSTOPPER Well-Known Member

Let me add a spin to this plot, you go to an area with different subspecies of turkeys such as a Merriams or an Osceola, it's the last day, last hour and no luck on your trip yet, a jake comes in. Now is it easier to shoot it and have claim to shooting another subspecies than an Eastern? I use to shoot jakes if I hadn't killed a mature gobbler during the season because I have a love for fried turkey breast, I can say though I haven't shot a jake in many years but that's just because I have been successful with the mature gobblers. I will though confess right here and now if I go to target a different subspecies as I mentioned earlier and a jake is all I have a chance to take, you can bet your long snood I'm shooting him.

orangefeetdown, Dermott, F B and 2 others like this.
  11. Timberking

Timberking Well-Known Member

Got to turkey hunting late in my career. Not a season here but get to go west for Rios. My landownwer/boss would frown on hen shooting and I don't care about a jake. Like killing with a rifle during deer season. Not interested.

12. speedbreed

speedbreed Member

Jakes are like bigger women.
    You can’t brag to your buddies about them, but if they make you happy, go for it.
    You can’t complain about a lack of gobblers if you kill jakes though.

13. Hivernan

Hivernan Well-Known Member

Well in that case my new motto is “Jakes need shootin too”