Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I'm looking ahead a couple of years here, but I'm thinking of planning an elk/muledeer bowhunt with my grandson after he graduates from high school. So, I'm wanting to get some information on different areas out west.

I'm not the man I used to be, so can anybody gives some input as to places where the terrain is not extremely mountainous and difficult, and maybe at a somewhat lower elevation. I hunted in Colorado a few times back in the mid-'80's at 9600 to 10200 elevation, and I'm smart enough to know that even with 2 years to help prepare, I'll never physically be able to hunt those altitudes again.

As some of you may not know, but I now have to wear a steel (Forrest Gump style) brace on my left leg and foot, so an area that would allow the use of an atv to access the area would be helpful.

Oh, and over-the-counter license and tags would be good.

I'll want to camp where we hunt. Either in tents, or rent a cabin, but out there. Don't want to have to drive in and out from a hotel.

Now, if anybody can think of any useful information, I'd appreciate it. I'm relying on ya'll's personal experience to help me.

Thanks.

· Registered
14,600 Posts
Elk AND mule deer? Over the counter tags? I hate to burst your bubble, but if there's a place where you can hunt both with OTC tags, I havent heard of it. Now, there are tags you can draw that wont be that hard to draw. Plus, you're planning a few years out, so you can get some pref points. For example, where I hunted elk last fall in CO, elk were OTC, and you could draw deer with a pref point or 2.

Unfortunately, I dont know of anywhere that meets all of the critera. Elk and high elevation kinda go together. You could try a late season hunt when the elk have come down some, but then you get weather to deal with. From what I understand, a lot of Montana is generally lower elevations, and they sell elk/muley combo tags. It is a draw though, but not a necessarily tough one.

I dont know much about areas that are 4wheeler friendly either. Sorry! I'm sure you'll be able to put something together. There's lot of folks on here that know of different areas.

· Registered
96 Posts
Hobbs is right, otc elk is easy to find but I think mule deer are pretty well all draw in colorado even for bow. Private land trespass fee would be your best bet but be ready to lay down some cash. It is a great trip and experience.

· Registered
It changes from time to time
6,378 Posts
Hobbs is right, otc elk is easy to find but I think mule deer are pretty well all draw in colorado even for bow. Private land trespass fee would be your best bet but be ready to lay down some cash. It is a great trip and experience.
You also need to understand the low success rate for these animals on any easy to get to and easy to get around in public land or inexpensive access area. They will be covered up with people.

Physically challenging places will have less people, but you probably won't be able to do it.

If you just want to go, that's one thing.

If you want a shot at killing something, now is the time to start goggling outfitters for guided & semi guided hunts in your budget and within your physical limitations.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, every State Game & Fish website lists public land available to hunt and will tell you what kind of physical challenges you will face.

You can get BLM maps on line.

It's a whole different game out West.

Easy, Cheap, & High Success Rate never come together in one package.

· Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments and information guys. I understand what an undertaking it would be. I hunted several times in Colorado back in the '80's. Maybe I shouldn't of passed up on the 5X5 bull back in early September of '86. Maybe I should just find a ranch with exotics, and find something to hunt with my longbow. Thanks again guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.