Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
I have hunted 5 days in the Ouahita's and heard 3 gobbles from 1 bird last Saturday- and someone was parked in the vicinity of the bird so we left him alone! Needless to say its been a strange year in the area of the Ouahita's I hunt!

· Registered
2,913 Posts
I have hunted 5 days in the Ouahita's and heard 3 gobbles from 1 bird last Saturday- and someone was parked in the vicinity of the bird so we left him alone! Needless to say its been a strange year in the area of the Ouahita's I hunt!
I hear you. It has been very strange. I gave up the first week. I heard several gobbles down south back in March and i listen to one gobble several times down south last weekend but i haven't heard anything in the Ouachitas. If they don't want to cooperate i can find something better to spend my time on....like hogs:biggrin:

· Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
There still some gobblers in the Ouahita's not like it was 5 years ago but there still some, them old birds know when to hush up, especially when all that gravel starts popping under them truck tires, allot of things effect gobbling but I do believe the numbers are close to a alltime low- you just dont see the sign you once did a few years ago! All wildlife goes thru cycles I am just ready for the birds to cycle up for a change

· Registered
6,300 Posts
I finally got on a gobbling bird on Saturday morning. Got close, but couldn't get him in. Went this morning and listened to the wind blow. I should have been able to hear one, but didn't.

I did have a little excitement this morning. I watched a 300lb (estimate) Black Bear walk from 150-175 yards away down the road toward me and got to about 75 yards. He/she went into a pine plantation down a logroad (this spot is where we deer camped for many years). It came back out a little bit later, then realized it was being watched and turned and ran into the pines. Of course my video camera was not in the truck, my brother had it with him. I'd have given anything to have it with me. I tried to video some with my phone, but he/she was too far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.