Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member<br>2011 Photo Contest Winner
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you guys that hunt the ouachita mountains been seeing going on with the rut last weekend?
I hunted all weekend but it was pretty tough going. The scrapes i found a weeks earlier are not active anymore but it may be because I was in there and disturbed them.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Lots of bucks chasin but no interest showed by most does. I personally saw only small bucks, 1 1/2 and less. I think I let 2 6's and 2 7's walk and saw several spikes and forked horns. Some scrapes are still being worked and
others have not been visited since the rain mid week. I suspect this weekend ought to be prime for the kiddo's to be out. :up:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I killed my buck on the 19th and he came in ready to fight after a few grunts (there was another little buck there also). He was stinkin and had a swole up neck and black stinky tarsals. I know the bucks are ready but as of the 19th, I don't believe the does were. They may be now but I don't know. I do know the next 2 weeks are going to be a good time to be in the woods as usual, this cold weather is just making it that much better. It's that time fellers :eek: :up: :biggrin:

Good Luck

·
Member<br>2011 Photo Contest Winner
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lots of bucks chasin but no interest showed by most does. I personally saw only small bucks, 1 1/2 and less. I think I let 2 6's and 2 7's walk and saw several spikes and forked horns. Some scrapes are still being worked and
others have not been visited since the rain mid week. I suspect this weekend ought to be prime for the kiddo's to be out. :up:
do you have any guess as to why after that rain they didnt reopen the scrapes? some of these scrapes were even larger scarpes that were being visited by multiple bucks. i thought they might be chasing or something but i sure wasnt in the right area this year then.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I saw the first srcape up here Thursday and I found a good rub line then. The buck I shot Friday had a swollen neck, stinky tarsal glands and treebark on his horns. I haven't seen them chasing here yet but I did see some chasing opening weekend of ML over in Grant county. Of course it was at 4am and in a cemetary!

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
My buddy & I were up @ Winona all weekend. We saw quite a few deer half of the does were being followed by smaller bucks. Had one good buck come up a funnel then drop back down. Just couldn't reach him with the ol' smokepole. The weather is getting right now. I figure that opening of modern gun will be great!

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
do you have any guess as to why after that rain they didnt reopen the scrapes? some of these scrapes were even larger scarpes that were being visited by multiple bucks. i thought they might be chasing or something but i sure wasnt in the right area this year then.
In your case I really don't know. Several people hunt around the area so the bucks making the scrapes may of injested too much lead to continue there normal routine. However I watched 4 different bucks walk through my food plot and pass a scrape and never did work it. They would pause and rub
there forehead on the licking branch but didn't scrape one time.:head:

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
I don't worry too much this time of year when they quit tending scrapes. As a matter of fact, I don't focus strictly on buck sign. Just put yourself in the middle of deer sign. It's that time of year when if the does are there, the bucks will be there, too.....:up:

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
I grunted and rattled in several small bucks this weekend, not a single one legal though. A buddy of mine killed a nice 8pt. last Wed. and he said it was chasing a doe. I've not seen any of that though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Rut

Opening weekend of ML, our camp killed a 9, two 8's, two 7's. The 7 point I got was working his area, but not chasing. As many have said, there were small bucks following does. Second weekend was dead at our camp. We saw some deer, and passed on a 10" 6 point. I believe with the cooler weather things will get better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.