Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how good these areas are and how big the crowds will be? I'm thinking about hunting the Leader Mountain area and wondering what to expect when I get there.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
tahts a good area bud. be prepared to walk a looooooooooooooong way, then climb waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up and start hunting. i have hunted there before. we called it the death march, going up the valley, then you had to climb the mountain to start hunting. not a gobble was heard in that area this past weekend though. has been bad hatches there tha last few years. birds are there, just gotta work for 'em.BG12

by the way, welcome to the best site on the net!

·
Registered
751 Posts
bg12, holler at me next time you head over there again; i was over there last weekend. we've got a cabin on the little mo.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You will have company in Leader Mt. - especially the first week. I usually hunt there myself a couple times each year. I walk in about 3 miles before I start hunting. Have not heard a turkey in there during season in the last two years, but there are some in there, and some good ones. The last two I have taken in there wieghed 23 lbs. Good luck, maybe I will see you.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
my bud just told me that LMWIA will be closed this season. doing some blasting in there or something. gonna put in bridges and make it an improved road is what he heard.

quax, where at on the lil mo?BG12

·
Super Moderator
9,435 Posts
I've hunted there for about, well, since I could walk. We use to 4 wheel drive up that road for a few miles at the Leader Mountain sign (before it got gated year round) and deer hunt up in there. Hope you are in good shape. :thumb: My wife and I were over there a couple weeks ago and the road is closed at the low water bridge where is crosses the little mo. Not sure how long it will be like that.

Lonnie, yes to your question.

quax, is your cabin on the little mo just down stream from Albert Pike? I've been camping at alber pike for 25 years and my dad has been going over there for about 55 years. Now that he and my mom are retired, they are over there ALL the time. haha Must be nice!

EDIT: For those of you interested...here is the info on the road closing:

Temporary Construction on Long Creek Road on the Caddo/Womble Ranger District

HOT SPRINGS, AR--The second stream crossing west of the junction of the Long Creek Road (Forest Road 512) and Forest Road 79, near Albert Pike Campground, will be closed until around March 1, 2008, for construction.
“A contract crew is replacing the existing low water crossing with a box culvert to improve public safety, reduce streambank erosion and to improve fish passage. Road turnouts are also being constructed to improve the road for public safety,” stated Elizabeth Gross, Resource Assistant for the Caddo-Womble Ranger District.
The west end of the Long Creek Road (Forest Road 512) and the north end of the Straight Creek Road (Forest Road 912) are still open; however, travelers will not be able to continue past the construction area to reach Forest Road 79.
For further information, contact Elizabeth Gross at 870-867-2101.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts