Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke down and ordered me a new CVA Optima V2 the other night. I looked them over at Bass Pro and finally ordered one. I have read many reviews and think/hope I made a good choice. Does anybody else have one and if so, what kind of distances can they shoot and what loads are working best? My shooting range will be 50-250 yards. I hunt woods and clearcuts. Any thought will help. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I got one as a gift 2 years ago. I love it. I shoot two pellets of triple 7 and the Hornady Sabots. 240gr I think. The only problem with those is I can't find any anywhere. I think I have 5 left.

250 is pushing it with a smoke pole. I've shot 200 with it and it groups but I'd probably never shoot at a deer that far. 150-170 is my limit.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Sorry, I don't have a recommendation for long ranges...I'll never shoot past 100 yds where I hunt in the river bottoms.

For shorter ranges I sighted my new CVA Accura V2 in at 100 yds last year and was consistently getting less than 1" groups using the Hornady SST sabots with 2 white hot pellets. Seemed to be a good combo.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Wildman44....which sabot are you looking for?

Hunters refuge in White Hall had both the Hornady SST (tipped) sabots and the hollow point XTP sabot in stock about two days ago. Sorry, don't remember which grain bullet it was.
You may want to give them a call. 870-247-9000

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guy at Bass Pro said the would do 350 yards easy but I kinda got my doubts. Thats the main reason for my asking. Of course I will try because I just got to know. I don't like shooting that far but it's nice to know what the gun can do. And I have learned that a lot of guns are underestimated but long shots need to be taken carefully becuase wounding animals is just not worth it. If I can't be confident in my shot then I will let them go and try to get closer next time. But getting other input is always best.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
You can get small groups with 110 grains of Blackhorn, 250 gr Barnes Spitfire TEZ's and Fiocchi primers. The Fiocchi doesn't "push" the powder, but it fires it well. By "small groups", I mean like a couple inches at 200 yards small.
That Bergara barrel is outstanding.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
That guy is an idiot. 150 max
I don't know. Acura barrel ain't that much better, and this guy gets an inch at 200. 350 doesn't sound unbelievable.

http://blog.cva.com/muzzleloader-cva-accura/

"Question: Carlos, you’ve mentioned that you can shoot 1-inch groups at 200 yards with a CVA Accura. You’ve also mentioned that you can shoot groups tighter than 1 inch at 100 yards with the Accura. How do you load the CVA Accura to get groups that tight?

Vilorio: I use 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder with a Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ bullet and a Fiocchi primer."

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a CVA optima and can shoot clovers at 100 yds using BH209 95gr with CCI209m primers shooting thor bullets 250gr tipped using .501 size. it can be done you just have to fine what your gun likes and take the time to do it. you don't just buy a gun push 120gr down the barrel and go hunting. you have to shot at all the ranges you will be hunting in and see if the gun and you or up to it. 250yds is were I've drone the line and not with 95gr of powder more like 110gr or 120gr.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I like the optima V2 in the .45 I have. 200 yds it is almost as good as a modern rifle. 1" group. I would not hesitate at a 250yd shot with it, and I can see 300yds as practical with the gun. Not a lot of drop, and it shoots very good. I won't shoot that far until I put several down range on paper and feel comfortable.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
The drop at 300 would be massive. I am very confident out to 150 but at 300 with 245gr bullet is asking for a wounded animal. I would have to put a lot of lead down range befor I felt comfortable at that distance. Just my .02

·
Registered
875 Posts
Wildman44....which sabot are you looking for?

Hunters refuge in White Hall had both the Hornady SST (tipped) sabots and the hollow point XTP sabot in stock about two days ago. Sorry, don't remember which grain bullet it was.
You may want to give them a call. 870-247-9000
i use the barnes hollow point 250 with the black sabot

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Shot a buck with the barnes bullet Friday. Had a pass through, with a hard quartering away shot, the results were awesome. Big blood trail, and really tore that deer up. He did somehow manage to run 60 yards after the hit. Shot was 150yds. I shoot the Winchester 777 primers and 150gr of powder. 195gr barnes for the .45. You will love your gun, they are accurate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.