Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to think seriously about a scope for my Bushy, but wanted to see what the rest of you use, and what you like/dislike about it. For now, it will mainly be for self defense, not hunting.

Also, the extra-high rings are HIGH DOLLAR....where can I get the best price? For the record, I'm not really interested in removing the original front sight at this time.

Here are a few things I'm considering:
Variable Power Scope
Red Dot
Holographic Sight

Other things on my list:
Flashlight
Laser Sight (will probably get this even if I get a scope...cause it's cool as all get-out. :biggrin:)

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated! :thumb:

.270Win

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
I first went with the holo sight, and then on sunny days I couldn't see the sights as clear as I would like, so I switched to a red dot scope. Love it, and it lines up perfectly when I flip up my front/back iron sights. I still have the holo sight, its made by ATN, if you go that route, send me a PM and I'll give a good deal on it.

I opted to not go with the laser cause I am really comfortable with the red dot in CQ. But I did pick up a Surefire G2 light and the mount. This is all for my 16" barreled M4.

For my 24" SS/Fluted setup, I have a Nikon 3-9x40 on it.

What use are you wanting out of your rifle? CQ or semi-long distance?

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
What do you want to do with it, and how much do you want to spend??

I always like spending someone else's money...

I have several different sights on the rifles I shoot. Probably the 2 most popular are the Aimpoint and the EOTech.

Starting off with the red dot, I use an Aimpoint ML2 mounted in an ARMS 22M68 mount. This particluar sight uses a 1/3N battery, which is fairly easy to find. Battery life on the Aimpoints are outstanding. This sight is probably 8 years old, and is still on the original battery. The newest Aimpoint ML4's are said to have a battery life of 50,000 hours. This dot sight is ~$350 and the mount is about another $100. Lots of people love their Aimpoints, but personally I am slower picking the dot up vs the EOTech reticle. I have this one mounted on a 10.3" SBR...

I also use the EOTech 512, which is the non-night vision model of the 552. Personally, I can pick up the reticle of the EOTech faster than the Aimpoints dot. There again, it's personal, so before you decided on either of these, I'd take a look through both. The EOTech runs about $350, and the mount is built in, so that saves you a hundred dollars or so over the Aimpoint. The EOTech 512 runs on AA batteries, which are available everywhere. It has a reported battery life of ~1100 hours on 2 alkaline AA's. I run the lithium's in mine, so I really don't know how long they will last. They are reported to last at least 7X longer alkalines. Both of these sights are in service right now with the US military, so they are battle proven to take it and keep on ticking.

Here's the EOTech...

Here's a pic of the EOTech reticle. It is a 1/3 MOA dot inside a 65 MOA ring.

Another sight I have started to compete with this year has been the Millet DMS-1 1x4x30mm variable. It has a 1MOA dot in the center surrounded by a 12 MOA ring around it. It's a lot like the EOTech reticle. It has a lighted reticle that can be turned on to glow red in low light or if left off, it is a standard black, just like any other scope. The scope runs a little over $200, and the mounts can run anywhere from $50 up to over $200, depending on what you get. The mount shown here was ~$65.

Here it is mounted on an M4 that I compete with...

I am really liking the Millet. It gives a dot for accurate longer range shooting while at the same time giving the larger ring for CQB. My eyes seem to really pick up the ring. Also, you have the option of going up to 4X for longer range shooting. This scope is catching on in the competition circuit where you can shoot anywhere from muzzle contact distances to 300+ yards.

More than anything, be sure to give several different sights a try before you buy one. What I like, you might not.

If you can ever get up here to the ghetto, I'll treat ya to a day on the range and you can wring 'em out.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:woohoo: You guys have got me PUMPED! :clap:

My budget is in the $300 ~ $400 range, so everything listed so far is within reach.....and exactly what I'm wanting to look at before making a purchase. :up:

Keep 'em coming guys! :thumb:

.270Win

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still have the holo sight, its made by ATN, if you go that route, send me a PM and I'll give a good deal on it.

What use are you wanting out of your rifle? CQ or semi-long distance?
What is the model number of the ATN you have? Send me a PM of your asking price.

What does "CQ" and "CQB" stand for? :head: You guys have to keep in mind that I'm still a newbie to the black rifle terminology. :smack:

.270Win

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
So far, I've just got the Red-dot, with a Weaver type see thru mount, which allows me to use the factory sights........am leaning toward maybe a fiber-optic type front sight, as the bifocals have trouble picking up the front post!!!!!

Check out Cheaper-Than-Dirt.............they have a variety of accessories for the Evil black guns!!!!:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
I was playing with a friends EOtech 512 this very weekend, had the wife look through it and she said I could have one!!! :woohoo: Now all I gotta do is order it :phone:

If ya wanna shoot fast, these things rock. The military is buying these by the truck loads!

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
Mr. C, I have looked at the 512 and 552 but don't understand what "not night vision compatible" means on the 512. Please explain. :confused:

Also, would I need any sort of mount in order to use either without removing my front sight?

.270Win
The 552 is night vision compatible, which means it will work with night vision equipment. The 512 will not work with night vision equipment. The military uses night vision equipment and has this need, I don't. It costs about 75-100 dollars more.

I have fixed front sights on all of my rifles, and it doesn't get in the way at all. You'll never notice the front sight when using either of the sights.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
I tried both the EOtech and the Aimpoint, and liked the aimpoint much better. For what ever reason, the recticle on the Eotech (and I tried a couple of them) was never sharp, just seemed to be a fuzzy bunch of squiggly lines to me.

The Aimpoint had a good sharp dot, was built bulletproof, and had outstanding battery life. I truly believe you could run over the aimpoint with a truck and it would keep rocking along.

I don't know why the Eotech recticle did not agree with my eyes, and maybe it was just me, but you may want to take a peek through one before you buy.

The ATN Ultrasights are not bad at all for the money. They do have problems if you are out in the rain or snow though. The selectible recticles are a neat feature. I would not want to go to war with one, but I would certainly be comfortable strolling the neighborhood.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
Actually the two I had a problem with where Bushnell Holosights.

Whatever you get, as has been stated, don't worry about trying to raise it up above the front sight. Ideally that red dot will set right on top of your front sight post. The higher you raise them up the harder it is to keep a cheek weld and the higher you point of impact at close range will be. You can even set a 4X or higher power scope low and you will not see the front sight through it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.