Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on yall's experiences,..

How would a 20ga. do for Turkey and Duck hunting?
What about knockdown power and velocities?
I know it would be less but how much?
Scenario: Let's say shooting at a turkey @ 40 steps.
How about ducks cupped up over the dekes?

I looked at a sweet little Benelli M2 20 yesterday,..may put it on my wishlist.

·
Administrator
81,470 Posts
Ducks over the decoys, I don't think there would be a problem. Turkey at 40 yards, I don't know. That would be getting to the edge of the effective range of the 20, just because of pattern density. As long as you understood and accepted the more limited range of the 20 ga over the 12 ga everything should be just fine.

·
Registered
623 Posts
a 20 is a fine gauge. i love my 20g slug gun. it has virtually no recoil and shells are everywhere. personally like a 20 more than a 12, and a 16 more than a 20:biggrin: but getting the variety of shells for the 16 like a person can get for a 20 or 12 in difficult so the 20 fills the void for a lot of things.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a 20 is a fine gauge. i love my 20g slug gun. it has virtually no recoil and shells are everywhere. personally like a 20 more than a 12, and a 16 more than a 20:biggrin: but getting the variety of shells for the 16 like a person can get for a 20 or 12 in difficult so the 20 fills the void for a lot of things.
Have you ever killed a turkey with a 20ga.?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I Duck Hunt Every Year With My Rem. 870 20 Gauge. It shoots 3'' so most of the time I can make it out there with some of the guys shooting Benilli and Mossburg 12 gauges. 20 Gauges are fine and fun. :thumb:

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I know this question wasn't for me but I'll reply anyway. :thumb:
I've personally never killed a turkey with a 20ga. but I know of several that have been killed with 20's. There were a few trips last year where I carried my 870 20ga. instead of my SBE but I just never got a shot at anything. Of course the way my season went last year I don't think I ever got in rocket launcher range of too many birds. :smack:

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
A 20 would be fine for both within range (I don't know what the range would be). A person would just have to pattern the gun and know the ranges.
It would be a lot lighter to carry also.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice Everybody,..I've never had a 20ga.Sounds like a good excuse to get one don't it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I have a Remington 1100 light weight 20 guage shotgun. I have killed several ducks and lots of squirrels and rabbits with it while my hunting partners were give out by carrying 12 guages. For small game hunting I would rather carry a 20 than any other guage. A 20 guage is capable of killing turkeys but the range may be less than using a bigger gun. A 20 guage is a must gun in any collection.:thumb:

·
Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
5,263 Posts
they say a 20 ga 3" mag is equal to a 12 ga. 2 3/4.:thumb:
Before screw in chokes and 3" mags I killed several turkeys at the 40 yard range with a 2 3/4 12ga.

With new hot rod choke tubes and new ammunition 20 ga is not the same as they once were.

You can now get the same speed and power with a 20 vs a 12.....but with less pellets. As someone stated "pattern density"

Go for it !

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have not personally, but i have seen a lot of birds that fell to a 20. i know a guy that killed one with a .410 at 20 yards (not the most legal situation though...). i would not want to try it with anything smaller than a 20. My grandpa went over to a 20g this year for turkey, his shoulder is getting too bad to shoot his old 12 :frown:. it doesn't take a 3.5" 12g to kill a turkey. i may take out my new 16g this year.

By the way, if the gun you are wanting to get handles a slug well, you might retire your rifle for deer hunting. i did.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I bought my wife a 870 youth modle and it will smooth hammer them toms.. We shoot #6 Remington Heavyshot through it with the Rmington Heavyshot choke. I have killed two with it and my wife has killed two. the closest shot was 33 steps and the longest was 47. Now before you start bashing me about the long shot I patterned the gun at 50 and it put 9 pellets in the kill on the pattern target. Also I misjudged the range, you will see why when you look at the pic the tom weighed just over 25 pounds. He never even twitched. Not one bird has needed a second shot or even flopped much.
33 steps.

36 steps.

41 steps.

and this is the monster tom taken at 47 steps.

Never underestimate the lil 20.

Boom

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought my wife a 870 youth modle and it will smooth hammer them toms.. We shoot #6 Remington Heavyshot through it with the Rmington Heavyshot choke. I have killed two with it and my wife has killed two. the closest shot was 33 steps and the longest was 47. Now before you start bashing me about the long shot I patterned the gun at 50 and it put 9 pellets in the kill on the pattern target. Also I misjudged the range, you will see why when you look at the pic the tom weighed just over 25 pounds. He never even twitched. Not one bird has needed a second shot or even flopped much.
33 steps.

36 steps.

41 steps.

and this is the monster tom taken at 47 steps.

Never underestimate the lil 20.

Boom

Cool,..That's what i wanted to know.
Man,..That is a MONSTER BIRD. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks 10pointman. I have been saying for the last two years "When I get a new shotgun it will be an 1187 20 gauge". But alas the time has come and me pockets are not deep enough right now. My old 1187 12 has been shot over 40,000 times and I have had to get the magazine tube silver soldered back into the reciever twice. So needless to say I am starting to question the safety of shooting this gun with a turkey load ever again. So I am buying a 870 Supermag from a guy that won it at a D/U banqiut for $250.00.

I will get a 20 for myself someday, untill then I will use my wifes when she is not needing it. I love the wieght and the way they handle, wing shooting has never felt as good with a 12.

Boom

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I shoot a 20ga 3" almost exclusively for ducks, they are very effective.
As far as turks Im sure there are some that will do it good, I sent mine off to ballistics, had them lengthen cone, make a choke for it, then got shells from nitro and several off the shelf brands, it wouldn't put the pattern I "wanted" on paper, dont get me wrong it had what I would call "kill" patterns out 40 but just didnt have what I was looking for.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts