Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
90,713 Posts
Correct about the barrel burning round. The Sako action is a sought after and highly regarded action, but I'd sure like to know an estimate of the number of rounds down the tube. Also, if you don't reload, you might check on the price of ammo.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
What sort of long range shooting are you planning on. I wouldn't look at rifles untill I knew exactly what I was going to use it for, where I was going to use it at, and what the ideal bullet weight would be to take down whatever I was shooting at. Long range shooting is that specific. A 6.5x284 is a super long-range shooter but I wouldn't buy one to shoot prarie dogs.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks for the quick replys! After being on my lease a few years I finally got a spot on the highline. So, to me long range is whitetails 350-450 yards. I will also take the rifle elk hunting this November. I've not studied 7mm bullets much, but something in the 140ish range would be what I would look at first. The calibers I've looked at are 30-378, 300 RUM, 7mm RUM and 7mm STW. I've looked at the 300 wsm too. I do reload so cost and availabilty of ammo is not a huge concern.

I agree about the short barrel life with these rounds, but most should see 700-1000 before any noticable decline in accuracy. That's a lot of shooting for the averge guy.

I've shot deer out to 300 and do practice at those distances. I really don't need it, I guess I just want something new.

·
Premium Member
18,386 Posts
Not a fan of the caliber because of what has been said before. Not a fan of muzzlebrakes on hunting rifles either. Unless, of course, you plan to wear hearing protection when you hunt. Those things in a caliber like that are just brutal on the ears and I enjoy my hearing too much.

Other than that Sako is an awesome action. You won't be dissapointed with that at all.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
If just used for that purpose I wouldn't pigeon-hole myself with a 7MM-STW unless you are a handloader. There are many over the counter at Wal-Mart rifles that will fill that bill and you could top it off with a nice scope and a couple of boxes of cartridges for the price it will take to purchase the rifle you posted a link to.

Everything larger than 25-06 will take down Elk at that range. Let's say: 270Win, 280 Rem, 30-06 Springfield, even 308's and 7mm-08's if you go with a premium bullet. People get all ballistics challenged when you mention long range shooting.

At the ranges you spoke of, 350 and 400 yards, you would be surprised at what a 30-06 can do. I will guarentee this; That old 30-06 will out-perform most of our shooting abilities. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
At the ranges you spoke of, 350 and 400 yards, you would be surprised at what a 30-06 can do. I will guarentee this; That old 30-06 will out-perform most of our shooting abilities. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
>>I will have to agree with this also.....:up:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
There are other cals. I would look seriously at first. The 7mm mag, the .270 wsm , the 30.06, the .300 wsm, and yes, even the lowly 7mm-08 will kill to 400 yards, and I use that cal. probably more than any other I own for my deer hunting. But while the 7mm STW is impressive ballistic wise, there are too many other more standardized cals. out there that would serve you better, IMHO.

And if you want some extra oomph, consider the Hornady lite mag ammo for the cal you choose. I have been using it for 2 years, and since last season have bought 14 boxes for all my different guns. It really has worked well for me and is accurate and lives up to it's advertising of higher velocity and down range energy. Some folks don't think so, but my experience proves otherwise.

And since you handload, you may even be able to load your own to closely dupilate those results, but of course caution should be a priority when considering chamber pressures.

hope this helps.

God bless,

MET

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again for all the replys! Let me ask this question a different way. I have or have had most of the standard calibers mentioned. I'm quite sure most any gun out of the box will shoot better than me :up: For some reason over the past year or so I seem to think I want something different...thus the stw or rums. I don't need it as I already have a few deer rifles. (I go to all the gun shows in Ft worth and have only seen a handful of these). I've never seen a 30-378 other than at Bass Pro and they are $1800+ there :down:

I mainly want a very nice rifle a step or 2 above a 700 BDL or savage 110. Not that a BDL and 110 aren't nice, that is what I happen to have now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.