Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today the opener of Ar turkey season was a challenge at the least. High and I do mean high winds around 25 mph and cooler temps had the birds locked jawed!

We didnt hear a bird all morning and didnt even get a close encounter of the turkey kind. We went back at noon and tried it again. We had scouted this particular spot for close to two weeks prior to season and we werent about to give up yet! We set up that afternoon and not 15 min. of calling we had six birds coming right at us right up the draw.

Two of the birds in the front were kindda strutting and we decided on taking the two of them. Jared shot first and I followed. We knew there were some jakes in the bunch but figured the two front birds putting on the show were two younger gobblers. We were happy to find that they were. After hunting all morning in the wind and cool temps we were very happy to have a double for the opener morning. On this particular public land area any chance you can get on a bird is a great opportunity given the preassure and land layout of the area. I have never had a double on the opener so to me despite the fact that they werent "sagging the ground long boys" it was one of the best hunts and trophey experiences I have ever had!!

James Staten

· Administrator
15,003 Posts
Congratulations. Thats an experience that youll probably remember the rest of your life. :thumb:

They dont have to be "sagging the ground long boys" for me to be happy either. :wink:

· Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
Hey averyhunter,
I know what public land area you killed those in.:wink: I didn't realize it until I saw your picture on this thread, but I met you and a buddy down there Wednesday morning on the way out to the trucks. We talked awhile at the parking lot there, I'm sure you remember me I was driving the white 4 door F-150 and we talked 10 minutes or so about the season and about canoes.:cool: Anyway, congrats on your double, I posted the pic of the one I killed down there off the creekbottom Tuesday morning on here too. I had no idea who I was talking to until now, but if you remember, last early goose season we talked a little bit about our scouting trips around here before the opener. Well, I guess it is a small world, but I was just going to tell you that you met somebody who hangs out on here too!!!:biggrin: Did you guys go back the last couple of days and hear any birds? I had to go back to work Thursday morning and went out to our family farm north of Atkins, but didn't hear anything before work. I slept in til 6:00 this morning, but plan to get after them again tomorrow! Good luck the rest of the season to you guys if I don't bump into you again before we all tag out...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.