Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are on our way back to Kansas as I write this via wireless internet. We are now on Hwy 71 south of Kansas City. The weather seems good, a little windy but not too bad. I hope to get there in time to hunt some this afternoon. Will keep everyone posted as to our luck/progress.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey bowhuntr....you guys okay up there ? I just saw the weather is not too good up that way :eek: Batton down the hatches and be careful....
Yeah so far we are ok. There are a lot of warnings but most of them are S.E. of us. We saw a ton of turkeys this afternoon. It seemed like alomost every other field had turkeys in it. My buddy got a good one this afternoon..about 23 pounds and a ten inch beard. The last time we were here I located a roost that had at least eight or ten longbeards. I am going to be there at daylight in the morning. It seems the turkeys here roost in almost the same place each night due to the lack of good roosting trees...easy to pattern :biggrin:

·
Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<
7,279 Posts
I'm leaving in the morning for kansas, has anyone heard any bad reports about there not being as many birds this year?
My buddies just got back from the area we hunt. They kill 5 to 8 birds every year in one area in two or three days of hunting. This year they seen a jake, that was one jake only, and never heard a turkey gobble.:banghead:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck and get a biggern.

Just don't do like some locals from here and get hauled in to the clinker for trespassing! Took them a nice chunk of change to get out from what I understand.
Hope they learned their lesson.
We spent many hours talking to ranchers and farmers. We have several good locations secured. Also there is some public land as well. No way would I take a chance on going on private ground without talking to the landowner first, thats just asking for it.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are in from the morning hunt. The wind picked up at daylight and ain't stopped yet...it is howling. Going to go out this afternoon and sit in my blind if I can keep it from blowing away :biggrin: . Another of my hunting buddies missed a longbeard this morning at 20 yards...he shot a limb that he didn't see.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Good on ya in talking with the landowners. That way you will have hunting rights for several seasons to come. Also respecting the land you hunt , like picking up the spent casings and such will go a long ways. Ya'll done it up right. Dang I'm sorry bout the wind, the birds are still out there though. I've found a good box call to work good in the wind. Also the hollers down out of the wind are good places to check. Better luck to your buddy next time, now you have an educated bird out there to test your skills :wink: Good luck this evening, hope it goes better for youns ! Be safe !

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In from the evening hunt. Saw two good gobblers but were henned up and not interested. Another one of my hunting partners smoked another longbeard...dang my turn has got to be soon. Maybe in the morning.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got in tight on one this morning. He came off the roost and went the wrong way. He struted and gobbled for 20 minutes at 100 yards and would not come any closer.

This afternoon was much of the same. Had one come to about 85 yards and would not come an inch closer. I worked him for over an hour and he struted and gobbled time after time. As I was working him another one sneaked in behind me and busted me at ten yards. The show was over at that point. This has got to be the worst luck I have ever had with turkey hunting. Seems like some off the wall craziness happens every time :smack: oh well thats turkey hunting.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
LOL !!! Yep that's the way it goes. Guess it's what keeps us going back after 'em year after year. As my father-in-Law says....somedays chicken somedays feathers. A veteran turkey hunter like you won't always get stumped though. Another day another bird and it'll come together for ya. Sounds like you guys had an exciting and fun season anyways. Thanks for keeping updated. Enjoyed hearing the stories. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I haven't been able to get a signal well enough to post anything in the last couple of days so I will catch up a little. Yesterday afternoon I went out and only saw one gobbler with two hens.

This morning my wife and I set up about 100 yards from several hens roosting...I was thinking where there is smoke there should be fire and fire there was. At daybreak we could hear at least ten gobblers in every direction. There were three gobbling very close and sounded like they were together. The hens began to fly down and each one gave her best loud yelps and flydown cackle. This of course drove the gobblers crazy and they gobbled even more. The hens hit the edge of a large plowed field of which we were set up just off the edge in some brush. They began to pick their way through the field and when they were about 100 yards into the field we saw three gobblers making their way across a grassy patch towards the plowed field and the hens. The gobblers entered the field in grand fashion with their fans spread fully and gobbling constantly, strutting and druming each one trying to outdo the other. The now rising sun shining through their fans made for a spectacular sight. All three joined the hens and disapeared over the horizon. We sat there for about twenty minutes thinking it was all over when I decided to call and see if I could see how far away they were by now. At the sound of the call they gobbled very close, just over the rise from us. Realizing we were still in the game I began to call and they would answser. Before I knew it two of these macdaddies were right out in front of us and strutting our way both looking dead at us as they strutted toward us. I began to inch my gun to my shoulder a fraction at a time as they closed the distance. When they were at what I estimated to be forty yards I asked my wife ( who was videoing the whole thing) if she was ready and she indicated that she was. I squeezed the trigger and the longdeard on the right side tumbled like a bowling ball amidst a cloud of feathers and dust and began his death flop. A few minutes later as we recovered the bird I ranged from where he was standing at the shot, back to the tree we were sitting against and was surprised to find that it was 54 yards. This was a great moment for my wife and I due to the fact that a little over a year ago she was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and given two weeks to live. She has since overcome the cancer and is healthy as far as the doctors know. As we stood in that plowed Kansas corn field looking at the gobbler we were reminded of gods wonderful healing power and of his love and of the everyday small things that we sometimes take for granted.I hope everyone had a wonderful turkey season.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Congrats !! :thumb: That was a wonderful story ! Well written, I felt like I was right there with you. I said a few prayers myself for you and your wife. And I am thankful they were answered. We have an awesome God !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.