Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,138 Posts
I have a shotgun handed down from my grandfather.It looks really old.
It has been "Browned",...I think.It's not blued or rust.It's brown colored with a little shine to it.

It's a topper model 158,.Harrington and Richardson.
12ga. 3" modified barrel. Single shot.

I don't know how old it is,...Maybe yall could tell me.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Belgium made Browning A-5, first run with the bird safety in the front of the trigger guard, serial # within the first 100,000 made. still shoots like it is new. dated in the early 1930's. a fire at the records storage warehouse destroyed many of Fabrique Nationale's early records. BG12

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
A Remington Model 11. It was (as best as I can gather from the serial number) manufactured in the late twenties to early thirties. It has a Williams aperture sight attached and came from up-state New York from an estate sale. It is still in about 85%+ as far as overall finish. The real detractor is it had a side mounted scope afixed at some point and I have yet to have the mount removed and the screw holes repaired. I figure I got it that way and I'd keep it that way. But it does take away from the overall asthetics!

I stand to inherit some older guns someday and the prize of the lot to me is a Marlin 1894 in .25-20. It is rough, but mechanically sound. The last round shot from it was over twenty years ago..... and I go to put that round out then. It was owned by my step-grand-dad who had bought it used and put it to work on the trap line sometime before WWII, not sure at all about its actual age.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have a .22 that I am not sure how it is. I took it in to a gun smith and he looked back as far as 1930 and still could not find it. It is a Remington "fieldmaster target rifle". It is a single shot, bolt action with the pull back firing pin. I got it at a Boy Scout auction years ago. Anybody know anything about it? It has an Elephant engraving on the butt stock.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Model 1897 Winchester Pump 12 ga., my mom's dad gave it to my father in the fifties. Serial numbers indicate 1908 production (Winchester Dates of Manufacture, by George Madis, 1981). The full choke barrel has been cut off a little (and not square, either) and dad forbid me to square off the end of the barrel, because he's gotten used to the way it shot and liked it! It's been reblued with a new recoil pad fitted, and there's a model 12 forearm on it now, so there's very little collector value left, but it's been in our family so long I figger it should stay here.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Dang, forgot about the little Colt....Long story, I'll abbreviate!

Every time we went "home" to be with mom's family in Ft. Smith, dad would get Nana's and aunt Frieda's guns out to clean and oil them. There was this little .38 cal revolver that usually got special attention. It was converted to fire cartridges, but was originally cap and ball. Family legend has it that aunt Frieda's husband's great something-or-other was a saloon keeper during Ft. Smith's roudy frontier era, and that the pistol was given to him for protection by one of the local lawmen. Here's where it gets silly: the legend maintains that the lawman had relieved one Belle Star of said pistol before handing it over to my long departed relative.

Let me be the first to hoist the BS flag, because this is all heresay and third or fourth hand heresay at that. I got no proof of the provenience of the weapon, so it's just an interesting family story. But I've still got the little revolver, replete with the engraving of a naval battle barely legible on the cylinder. And it's still bathing in the 3-in-one oil dad put on it many moons ago...

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I have a WWII era Japaneese battle rifle, I guess it was their version of the M1.

My grandpa picked it up and a Rising Sun flag off a soilder who did not fair to well against him and his fellow Marines in Okinawa I believe.

Gun spent most of its life in my grandmothers attic, so safe to say its not shootable.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I have an LC Smith, 32" double barrel, both full choke, Field Grade. I think it was manufactured in 1917. Still shoots but there is so much drop in the stock it kicks like a mule. My uncle found it in the attic of a house he moved into and gave it to me. I guess I have had it for about 50 years.

·
Grand Member
16,536 Posts
I've got a Browning 22 rifle, on of the ones that load through the stock, that was my Dads, the serial # on it is only 4 digits. It still shoots great, but looks like it was carried for years by my Dad, then my older brother and then me.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Double barrel pin-fire… French or Belgin…1850’s.

Pinfire cartridges, .39 cal or 9.9 mm

Double trigger, double barrel, double hammer pin-fire.
I don’t know why this looks rusty in this photo but it is not rusted. It does have a browner shade of bluing than the modern guns.
Muzzle Velocity was about 600 fps. on this model.
The pin-fire was sort of in between the production of the rim-fires and center-fires.
Approx. value …over $25. but less than enough to retire on.
….popgun

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Popgun thanks for sharing the photos with us. I found them very interesting. I have a Winchester model 1892 chambered in .38-40 W.C.F, with the old octagon style barrel, its serial number is within the first 9500. A model 11 Remington 16 gauge (techniclly this is my wifes, she inherited this from her dad, but it resides in my gunsafe with all of my guns.:biggrin: ). And a Stevens model 15-A single shot bolt action .22. I inherited both of my guns from my grandfather. My dad & uncle has both told me that the .38-40 has been in our family for as long as they can remember.

:flag:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.