Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law gave me an old H&R 900 .22lr 9 shot revolver and its in great shape....appearance wise. No rust AT ALL and bluing is perfect and grips are perfect. DA shooting works flawlessly but when cocking the hammer for SA shooting, it sometimes doesn't engage the trigger and pull it back. I took the grips off and the cylinder out and cleaned it really well with Gun Scrubber to get rid of all the build up in it and then oiled it really well and it didn't help. I noticed a piece of white plastic up in the grip so pulled out the mainspring assemble (also called the Hammer Spring assembly I think) and found this...

From my research, that part appears to break quite often. No worries on that, I found the replacement part (http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=276950F&catid=7918) that is STEEL and not plastic so that fixes that problem. Now to my main question, would this broken part cause the problem I mentioned above with shooting SA and the hammer not picking up the trigger when I cock it? If so, great...if not, any ideas? Do I need to drop the trigger assembly out and look for a broken spring or am I just asking for trouble by removing the trigger assembly? Thanks everyone!

Here is the gun I have (best picture I have right now ha)

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
The new part may well solve your problem--I'm thinking some of that broken plastic may be interfering with the SA sear. Of course you're going to clean the debris out of it, so if there's not a problem with the sear itself, you should solve the problem.

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new part may well solve your problem--I'm thinking some of that broken plastic may be interfering with the SA sear. Of course you're going to clean the debris out of it, so if there's not a problem with the sear itself, you should solve the problem.
Yeah the problem is I don't know if I want to pull the trigger assembly out so I'm not sure if I got all the plastic out. I think i did, but not sure. I've heard that removing the trigger on this gun is a pain...mostly to get it back together. :smack: We shall see. If you look in the picture above, it looks like its just 3 pins holding the trigger assembly in, but I couldn't get them to budge. Maybe spray them down with some WD40 and let them sit or what?? They probably haven't been taken out since the gun was made in the 60s-70s. :smack:

· Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,649 Posts
I used to have one like that many years ago......my wife could bust miller pony bottles all day long with it. Then I swapped it away, and regretted it ever since! I'd nearly give anything to have mine back. I wish now I didn't click on this thread! LOL

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
AA, I'm thinking that if you flush it out with something light like WD-40 and then blow it out good with compressed air, you might just get all the crud out of it.

Of course you would then oil it down with real oil before putting back together...never store a gun with WD-40 in it!

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AA, I'm thinking that if you flush it out with something light like WD-40 and then blow it out good with compressed air, you might just get all the crud out of it.

Of course you would then oil it down with real oil before putting back together...never store a gun with WD-40 in it!
I'll give that a shot. You mean some people store guns with WD-40 in it??? haha

· Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,649 Posts
I'll give that a shot. You mean some people store guns with WD-40 in it??? haha
He mighta meant...don't store yer WD40 with guns in it.....:fit::fit::fit: But if you drop your Browning Automatic 12Ga in the bay, while shootin coots.......use water dispersant #40 and go back to shootin! Just don't let the gamewarden catch ya!:razz:

· Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He mighta meant...don't store yer WD40 with guns in it.....:fit::fit::fit: But if you drop your Browning Automatic 12Ga in the bay, while shootin coots.......use water dispersant #40 and go back to shootin! Just don't let the gamewarden catch ya!:razz:

Oh WD-40 has its uses for sure!!! I just wouldn't spay down the action of a gun and leave it stored like that I know that. But I do have a buddy that has on old beater 870 and when we get back in from duck hunting, he'll drench his 870 in WD-40, lean it up in the corner of the garage and there it will sit till we go again. haha

· Registered
4,120 Posts
I bought one of those as a first handgun for a friend a few back. Got it at a steal on GB and it shoots like a dream!!! It was one of my first handguns in the late seventies. Love those little guns..... so many out there and folks just don't know what they are missing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.