Old lab

Discussion in 'Huntin' Dogs' started by bigbrown, Mar 19, 2017.

1. bigbrown

bigbrown Well-Known Member

I have a 14 year old lab that's just going down. Since the loss of my 15 year old lab in July 2015 he hasn't been the same. He gets around but not the best, he can't hold his poop, he eats, drinks, and loves to be loved on. He cannot hear, can see some, and recently over the week sometime it seems to be hard to breath. Gasping some, with a wheeze. It's going to be tuff on me personally to put him down. I thought around on my 15 year old and then came home one day and she passed. That's was tough. Now it's that time again. When does one know that it's best to do it?

2. bigbrown

Trying to make a decision

I have a 14 year old lab that's just going down. Since the loss of my 15 year old lab in July 2015 he hasn't been the same. He gets around but not the best, he can't hold his poop, he eats, drinks, and loves to be loved on. He cannot hear, can see some, and recently over the week sometime it seems to be hard to breath. Gasping some, with a wheeze. It's going to be tuff on me personally to put him down. I thought around on my 15 year old and then came home one day and she passed. That's was tough. Now it's that time again. When does one know that it's best to do it?

3. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

Most of us know that it's best to do it after that time has come. I always hope and pray they will pass peaceably in the night. It literally makes me sick taking one to the vet to be put down. I dont envy your decision.

4. Maggiesmaster

Maggiesmaster Well-Known Member

NE AR
    Don't wait. She's been too good to let her suffer. Letting her lingerie is only for your benefit, not hers.

Triple Threat likes this.
  5. Ryan Crow

Ryan Crow Well-Known Member

When you think they are in more pain then you want to be in. It is your job to decide if they are hurting to much. Sorry to here your dog is in the bad shape.

John Stiles likes this.
  6. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    Sorry man. That's tough. Your pup's short on time, make it special. I'm sure she'd rather pass being loved on than suffocate alone while your working.

Best to ya

7. No-till Boss

No-till Boss Well-Known Member

Big brown, you've done a amazing job getting two different labs to live to that age, it speaks very well of you.

BIG DOG and Triple Threat like this.
  8. ArkGirl

ArkGirl Well-Known Member

My feeling is that we tend to keep them going for us...not them. It's so hard to let go. But the thing I fear the most is waiting one day too long. That day where they suddenly decompensate and are clearly suffering. The humane end is our last gift to them.

earl blevins and John Stiles like this.
  9. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Keeping him alive could be causing him to regret, be ashamed, long for the glory of his youth, just as you would be in his place! If you love him you'll end his suffering and let him go.....to dog's Heaven! Sorry, but it needs to be said.

earl blevins likes this.
  10. John Stiles

11. Triple Threat

Triple Threat Well-Known Member

I feel for you Big Brown. I've got one that's ten. He's been the best dog I've ever had. I have to pick him up sometimes to get him in the truck these days. There's a car commercial about a guy with some car and a lab. The dog starts out as a puppy and then gets old but the guy has the same car. I cry a little every time that commercial sneaks up on me. God bless you.

12. matt_jones105

matt_jones105 Well-Known Member

I know exactly how you feel. I had to let the vet put my dog to sleep this morning. It's not the phone call I was expecting to get. She had a tumor that they couldn't remove. She couldn't hold food down and she has lost so much weight she was skin and bones. I didn't want to do it but I know it was the best for her. She couldn't run and play all day because she didn't have the energy. I just knew it was what's best for her. That's how we have to look at it as do we want them to suffer just to have them a little longer or not let them be in pain.

Triple Threat likes this.
  13. browning_gold_12

browning_gold_12 Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07

aint that the truth...

14. bigbrown

Wow, yea that is a tuff read for this guy. Every day I get off wrk I grab my son, he's 19 months old, we feed and water him and Lucy, a labradoodle. He eats and drinks, and we go play. Last night my son grabs him by the collar and helps him out of garage. I know it's almost time or it is time. It's just a tough one.

Allenn likes this.
  15. Been there.

It's been a few years now since I had to put my chocolate lab (Dakota) down. He had developed some sort of degenerative esophagus issues and couldn't keep food down. As it was explained to me, the muscles in his esophagus couldn't work the food down into his stomach completely causing him to regurgitate/throw up. The vet told me to get what's called a bailey's chair (it's like a high chair for children) so that he could sit up. After looking into the chair, I built one. I had to blend his food into the consistency of a thin milk shake. He'd lap it up and gravity took over from there. Feeding him twice a day for a little over a year became the norm and it helped quite a bit but didn't solve the problem. The regurgitating lessoned and the weight loss slowed down. Then one day his breathing seemed labored. It wasn't constant, kinda like a big huff occasionally. It was just a few days later that his breathing seemed to become a real struggle and it wasn't until then that I KNEW it was time. I had to call the vet 3 times that day to make the appointment because I couldn't compose myself while on the phone. She finally told me to just be there at 4 that afternoon. I sobbed like a child when I felt him take his last breath. He was 2 weeks shy of being 12. I'm 46 and that has been the toughest thing I've had to do so far in my life. Telling the story now has me teary eyed.

Tried adding a couple of pics of him but I'm having problems getting them to upload. I'll try again later.

jwm870 and Mr. Chitlin like this.
  16. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator

NE Ark
    Been there brother!! ^^^^ It's tough but you know you did the right thing. Our last one we put down was 5 days past her 17th birthday.

17. John Stiles

Every time I go through this with a horse or a dog, I say I won't get another and have to go through it anymore...I figured out it's just foolhardy on my part, because I always get attached to the next one I see! I don't know how I couldn't ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1491428209.814605.jpg