Old farm hunting

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by bird dog, Dec 31, 2005.

1. bird dog

bird dog Moderator-Outdoor Recreation

First time I have hunted this old farm in about 22+ years. Didnt find any birds or I would have posted in small game instead. It used to hold a covey or two of birds. When I was 17-18, I could find them even without a dog. It was abandoned at that time but cattle grazing kept it huntable.Also used to sneak up on woodies on a creek that runs around this farm.Our experts say that as the small farm has dissappeared, so goes the Quail population, and in some cases(not all ) that is somewhat true.

[​IMG]

I was told this was a school at one time, then moved about 400 yards and used as a house in about 1940. Buzzards(excuse me, turkey vultures, dont want to offend someone) seem to like to perch on top of it.

[​IMG]

This is about 2 miles away at another old farm. I think Bonnie and Clyde ditched this one here.

[​IMG]

2. bird dog

This is where the house sat when it was a school house.

[​IMG]

Peirs for an old swinging bridge across Brush Creek(Perry County) that was next to the old school.

[​IMG]

Second Peir across creek.

[​IMG]

3. bird dog

Huge Sweet Gum by the old school house place. If this thing could only talk, what stories it might tell.It reminds me of the big Sweet Gum tree that John climbed bare footed, when he thought he was poking a coon out of it and it turned out to be a Lynx:thumb: One of Jerry Clowers more famous stories.:smack:

[​IMG]

4. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

Just shoot up here amongst us, one of us has got to have some relief.:biggrin: Great pics, thanks for posting.

5. bird dog

Some of the younger hunters on here might not know what we are talking about:thumb:

6. bird dog

How about some more old farm pictures, tractors left behind to rust, barns, what ever?

7. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

Since buzzard is widely used it's accepted as a name for turkey vultures and black vultures. Shouldn't offend anyone but the most hard core ornithologists.:wink:

Nice pics.

8. Thunder Gobble

Thunder Gobble Well-Known Member

:fit: ....Shoot'em out John..:biggrin:

9. bwhntr

bwhntr 2006 Spring Turkey Team Contest Winner

10. bird dog

Located due south of Nimrod lake, about 2 miles.On forest service road 146 and then on a side road, near Brush Creek. Only a narrow 4x4 road is left to get to it now. There were other one room schools in the area also.

11. bwhntr

Grandpa has passed on now, but they lived just to the east of where Lake Nimrod is, we spent a lot of time camping and fishing on South Fourche, they hunted on a mountain there,just to the south of hwy 60. can't remember the name of it right now..........

12. bird dog

First ridge south of the lake would be Long Hollow or maybe Fourche Mt. Farther south toward Hollis is Cove mt.

13. bwhntr

that's the one, they had a hunting camp up there for years.............

14. bird dog

PM me some names. I probably know them.

15. bwhntr

OK...........

16. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Nice pictures. Gotta love those Ledbetter boys.

Of course! Odell was always the smart one. Only took him 2 weeks to put together a jigsaw puzzle......even though the box said 4-7 years.

Miss O'l Jerry C.

17. bird dog

I dont know about that ? Marcell, Udell, Raydel,Eugene, and Clovis were pretty sharp too.:thumb:

18. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Uncle Versey, Aunt Pat, Raynell, Arnell, Udell, Odell, Marcell, Claude, Nugene, and Clovis.

Bird Dog....Do you hunt birds with one of them "Lion Dogs"?

19. bwhntr

:fit:

20. bird dog

Were those Ledbetter boys from East Arkansas? No ,maybe it was Mississipopi.:thumb: