Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Member<br>2010 Turkey Contest Winner
909 Posts
I shot Aluminums up until last year when I switched to Gold Tips. If you don't want to spent $60 on a dozen carbons just refletch them..........if the are still straight. I now several people that choose to shoot Alum. It is just like everything else, shoot what ever you perfer.

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
If your new bow is the same draw weight and draw length as the old one, you should have no problem using your old arrows.
Not necessarily true. Several....several years ago I swapped from a scrap metal bow as ragsdaj spoke of to a newer bow, same draw weight/length and tried to use the same aluminum arrows. The new bow flexed them so bad I :censored: near shot myself in the top of the foot. But Hobbs is most likely right you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Ok,

Old bow is scrap metal. If I purchase new bow do you throw out old easton aluminum arrows or have refleched and continue to use?

Thanks
It depends on the arrows and the bow you're shooting it from. Aluminum shafts are more finicky than carbons (i.e. carbons work for a broad range of draw lengths and draw weights, where as aluminums are much more specific). Use the Easton Shaft Selector to find out if the arrows you have will shoot well from the bow you buy. I still prefer aluminums as I feel like I get more consistency out of them.

Here's the shaft selector...
http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/selection

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Definately go with carbon arrows. They are alot better than aluminum shafts... and way more consistantly accurate. They allow a smaller diameter without giving up weight and penetration is much better.
All of that is highly debatable.

I'm not going to go into it, but you can go to archerytalk and do a search on aluminum and come up with plenty of pros & cons for aluminums and carbons. I'm not saying aluminum is better, but I don't think you can make a blanket statement that one shaft material is better than the other for all applications.

On a side note, I think the composite shafts (A/C/C, FMJ, etc) will be the shaft of choice in the future if they can get the price down.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I prefer aluminum but shoot carbon also. Two of my bows are rigged with "other than aluminum" arrows. The rest aluminum. I've found that the Easton and GoldTips I shoot in late summer and early fall just don't fly the same when when the mercury falls below freezing. My aluminums fly the same. I sure expected the fancy arrows to outperform the aluminums with such a change in temperature, it just didn't happen.

So... the result is I'll shoot carbons through my two Mathews and Aluminum through everything else. My Martin Cougar Magnum (nitrous cams) is the fastest and most accurate bow I have and I will only shoot aluminum through it. Isn't that something...Same broadhead and aluminum, rather than carbon, and it's still faster than my Switchback and LX.

I do my own arrow building and there's nothing in my opinion like feathers on aluminum...maybe feathers on ceder...but I still love to shoot aluminum. One of the Mathews may find aluminum resting in it's quiver this year.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I shot Aluminums up until last year when I switched to Gold Tips. If you don't want to spent $60 on a dozen carbons just refletch them..........if the are still straight. I now several people that choose to shoot Alum. It is just like everything else, shoot what ever you perfer.
+1

Shoot a few and see how they do. Most likely they will be fine.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
appreciate the commentary. Think I will have to get at least a couple of these aluminums refletched and do some shooting.

Thanks
That sounds like a heck of an idea. If you already got 'em, I'd try the old arrows first.

My spin on it is... Carbon/lighter arrows will fly faster/have a flatter trajectory, but I just wasnt getting the type of penetration out of them I wanted to see. I switched back to big ol' tree-trunk aluminum's years ago, and that heavy arrow will punch through a deer! (If you were going to kill something with a rock, would you grab a heavy one or a light one? Sure you can throw the light one great, but the heavy one's doing the damage.)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Aluminuim vs carbon

I shot aluminuim up till I got my switchback. Before I got my switchback I had a FX and a high country safari I used aluminuim in both of those and used the same aluminuim easton xx78 and xx75 still got them laying in the corner. The only thing that I have seen a difference in is the carbon are faster and take more abuse than an aluminuim shaft. But the penetration difference is right the opposite and know from experience. Shot a doe in the front shoulder with my FX wich is slower than my Switchback and both same draw weight killed the doe went 35yrds. Shot a doe last year in the shoulder with carbons and she ran off with my arrow and never found her. So don't make that mistake if you don't have a good body shot don't shoot. Also had a friend lose a nice pope and young the same way. That's the only difference I have experienced personally. Also I shoot Easton carbon arrows also figured why change products when they made great alluminuim shafts.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I prefer aluminum but shoot carbon also. Two of my bows are rigged with "other than aluminum" arrows. The rest aluminum. I've found that the Easton and GoldTips I shoot in late summer and early fall just don't fly the same when when the mercury falls below freezing. My aluminums fly the same. I sure expected the fancy arrows to outperform the aluminums with such a change in temperature, it just didn't happen.

So... the result is I'll shoot carbons through my two Mathews and Aluminum through everything else. My Martin Cougar Magnum (nitrous cams) is the fastest and most accurate bow I have and I will only shoot aluminum through it. Isn't that something...Same broadhead and aluminum, rather than carbon, and it's still faster than my Switchback and LX.

I do my own arrow building and there's nothing in my opinion like feathers on aluminum...maybe feathers on ceder...but I still love to shoot aluminum. One of the Mathews may find aluminum resting in it's quiver this year.
:up: Same here. Aluminum gave me more consistent shots than carbon and in my opinion, feathers are the ONLY way to go. When I tried vanes the arrows did not fly straight and true like they do with feathers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.