Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the thread on the oklahoma record but how is the hunting in the sallisaw Ok area?

I have the chance to hunt 900 acres in that area. It is privately owned and only hunted by one person that is known.

A friend got the offer from the owner and it has been extended to me. 900 acres ,a cabin and a caretaker on site.

Owner said hunt it and enjoy.

Geez I can find the land even not trying:thumb:

·
Banned
7,034 Posts
I have never hunted that area or in Ok at all. But I am pretty sure that area you are looking at will have some real nice deer. Have driven through that area during thanksgiving years ago and saw some real nice bucks in the back of a couple trucks.
I am going to hunt Sayre OK next year, quite a bit west of you. There were some pretty nice bucks taken off the land last year.

OK license fees are all screwed up. Gotta buy a seperate license for each method you choose to hunt...archery, ml, rifle.:eek:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never hunted that area or in Ok at all. But I am pretty sure that area you are looking at will have some real nice deer. Have driven through that area during thanksgiving years ago and saw some real nice bucks in the back of a couple trucks.
I am going to hunt Sayre OK next year, quite a bit west of you. There were some pretty nice bucks taken off the land last year.

OK license fees are all screwed up. Gotta buy a seperate license for each method you choose to hunt...archery, ml, rifle.:eek:
I noticed the Ok fees were screwed up.

I just found out about this about 2 hour ago.
Still working on it.
But I know the guy that owns it doesnt let anyone hunt it except the care taker.

He is good friends with a friend of mine that hunts with me. My friend said we could use it anytime.
My friend is going to get some more details and make plans to go on a scouting trip.

Its good to have good friends!:thumb:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I've never hunted the Sallisaw area, but there ought to be some bruisers in there. I used to drive through that area on my sales route a lot. There's a lot of nice river bottoms and crops around there.
Unfortunately, nonresident hunting is pricey in OK. Pick one method and go for it!
If you need anyone to go with you, I've got a lifetime OK license... I'd hate to see you shoot a monster buck and not have anyone to help drag.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
I hunted near Sallisaw, a lot in my younger years.
Mostly Quail, Ducks, Squirrels and Rabbits. There were some deer in the area even back then in the late 50's to early 60's. I bet there is some pretty good deer hunting there now. The Arkansas River bottoms near Sallisaw are great for hunting and the river is also provideds some great fishing.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never hunted the Sallisaw area, but there ought to be some bruisers in there. I used to drive through that area on my sales route a lot. There's a lot of nice river bottoms and crops around there.
Unfortunately, nonresident hunting is pricey in OK. Pick one method and go for it!
If you need anyone to go with you, I've got a lifetime OK license... I'd hate to see you shoot a monster buck and not have anyone to help drag.
Hey I'll get your number if this comes through.

Yeah I found that it's pricey. But if it has potential to take a bruiser then I'll pay.

I am waiting on a friend to find out more about it and hopefully make some plans.:thumb:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have hunted around that area for several years (I have my OK lifetime license). There are some good bucks around, but they are overrun by small bucks and does. They definately need to open up the doe season a little more. I would take him up on the offer..............:thumb:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Lots of deer in Eastern Oklahoma. Might be small bodied however there are some nice antlers in the area. Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation does not receive any money from the state of Oklahoma. It is entirely funded by pitman roberts, dingle johnson and license fees. Last year Oklahoma opened the doe harvest wide open and had a very poor harvest for a variety of reasons. Expect a liberal doe harvest allowed and to see a lot of one and two year old bucks.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
There's one thing I learned in the 2 years I lived in OK... It's diverse!
There are something like 8-9 totally different ecosystems in the state. The only other state that has that many in California.
The deer reflect that. I've heard that the area around Talequah and Ten Killer are just loaded with deer, but they're all really small. Go look at the brag board in the bait shop in Skiatook (just north of Tulsa, Osage Co), and you'd think you were in Iowa or some other big buck state. I seen some brutes come out of the area along the Cherokee turnpike too.
There's really only one way to find out what kind of deer the place might have... I'd give it a shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts