Ok ya'll help me find a new camping place

Discussion in 'Outdoor Recreation' started by ArkArcher, Jan 5, 2011.

1. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

This is actually a sad post for me. I have been going to Albert Pike camping many times a year for the past 28 years (I'm 28) and that is where we always like to go. Well, I don't see them opening it back up (after reading all the reports) or if they do open it back up, they will have to move the campgroup up the mountain which will require a LOT of time and work before it will open. So, I need a new spot I guess for this spring/summer. :frown: Where are some spots in the state that are very similar to Albert Pike? I can't believe I am posting this. :smack: I almost get emotional thinking about that flood and the poor folks that were there (we almost went over there camping that weekend!) and maybe never getting to camp there again. :frown:

2. REM870

REM870 Account Suspended

charlton campground. royal arkansas

3. Ozark hunter

Ozark hunter Well-Known Member

i've never been to where your talking about but blanchard springs area is pretty nice.

4. Meathunter

Meathunter Well-Known Member

I like camping at JFK on the Little Red River great trout fishing also.

similar to Albert Pike???? never been dont know what its like JFK is just below the Greers Ferry Dam . The water is clear and cold its not a large park but it has a trail that runs along a creek that only youth can fish you can also see Bald Eagles also a trout hatchery to check out its my favorite place to camp it gets to full in the summer thats the only bad thing about it.

5. venomdad

venomdad Well-Known Member

Gunner's Pool up around Fifty-Six

6. ArkArcher

Thanks for all the ideas. If ya'll don't remember, Albert Pike is the place where the floods killed the 20 people. :frown:

7. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

There are plenty of places to camp in the Albert Pike area besides the campground. It is still open for day use right?

8. ArkArcher

Yeah still open for day use. And yeah, you can still camp at all the little pull off spots back along the creeks as far as I know.

9. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

There are some nice spots towards Shady Lake. One campground has some restrooms and some little open air shacks on it for sleeping in. Some of them had fence wire tacked on the windows and doors when I was up there , possibly for the bears.

10. storyhunter

storyhunter Well-Known Member

Iron Spring Campground on Lake Ouachita, North side off HiWay 298. Nice camping area with restrooms, no electricity. Usually very few people there.