ok next ?. how do i keep him from running?

Discussion in 'Small Game and Bird Hunting' started by Big E, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Big E

Big E Well-Known Member

i squirrel hunt with a .22 and i was wondering how to keep my pup (Spark Plug) from running the first time he hears me shoot because i know he will.

2. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

.22 Shorts are a wonderful thing if you can use them in your rifle. I broke mine with a leash and a lot of reassurance and attention after the shot.

3. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

The leash.....sit down against a tree.....shoot about once every 5 minutes then lay the gun down and pet, hug, and calm him down.....that way he will learn not to duck either, but will be alert for that falling squirrel.

4. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

If your pup is gun shy. I wouldnt take him hunting tell I had him broke from that. If he is you will mess him up big time just shooting around him he needs to be desensitized to the gun before you hunt him if this is the case. There is alot of good advice on here about breaking a dog from being gun shy usally takes two people.

5. Big E

Big E Well-Known Member

do you recon subsonics would be as quite?

6. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

The longer the barrel the quieter....after he gets used to rifles going off, a shotgun won't bother him. Remember to try and keep the muzzle of your gun upwards and not in the direction of your dog. Dogs hearing can be damaged just like humans.:up:

7. REM870

REM870 Account Suspended

did you give some ole boys a ride to their camp about a month ago around midnight. dead battery. recognize spark plug.

8. F B

F B Administrator

Cabot
    I think dogs are made gun shy and from my experience its alot easier to prevent than it is to cure.

I start em out as pups by making all the noise I can when I feed em. Drop food pans, bang em together, you name it.

Before I ever shoot around em I slap two 2 x 4's together while theyre running. After a little while of that Ill shoot a shotgun but only when theyre running and only if Im a little distance away from em.

Its more work but (knock on wood) Ive yet to raise a gun shy dog.

9. Big E

Big E Well-Known Member

must be a different spark plug. ha!

10. ralin

ralin Well-Known Member

You need to make sure he's not gun shy first of all, no use putting time and effort into a gun shy dog. Like FB said, lots of noise around them when they are pups and such. Its been my experience that a dog is more afraid of a 22 than a shotgun.

11. SalineRiver

SalineRiver Well-Known Member

Let me preface this by saying I AM NOT AN AMINAL ABUSER NOR DO I ADVOCATE ABUSE OF ANIMALS.

Now, you have got to have him hungry so don't feed him for a the day before and start in the morning. Shoot aways away from him but so he can see and hear it and have someone feed him immediately ONE kernel of food. Shoot again...repeat. Get it? Introduce him to the gun by smell and sight while you are messing with him. Don't shoot it close yet. This may take time depending on how scared he is of the gun. Lay it on the ground and let him investigate on his terms with you there. If he associates it with you and food that is a key to winning his trust.

Now when you take him (of course he is going to be hungry). If you have to then tie him to the tree the squirrel is in. Kill the squirrel (that is important) and when you get it IMMEDIATELY feed him from the entrails. NO INTESTINES or STOMACH. Feed heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, paws.

Look at some of the gun dog books by Wolters or the like, lots of gun shy bird-dog tips in them.

12. shady grove

shady grove Well-Known Member

I am not a dog expert in any sense. I see you specified no guts or stomach, I was and am still amazed to see guys feed their dog guts and stomachs along with the heart and liver. Thats 1 of the 1st things I was taught about squirrel dogs. Ive got a pup I raised that shows some promise, I started shooting around him and his littermates when they were practically newborn, none that I know of are gunshy.

13. SalineRiver

SalineRiver Well-Known Member

Thats the way I have been taught and the logic is this: all parasites live in the guts and stomach and they also, by design, contain bacterias for digesting.

The next time you kill a rabbit (best example) gut him and hang his intestines in a tree. Hang it high enough so a dog can't get them. Sit back and watch. The parasites in them will begin moving from the loss of the rabbits body heat and loss of body function.

I don't want my dog eating that.