Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to SE OK last night after busting it all day to tie up loose ends. Me and the boy are driving around scouting since we v ot in after dark. Spent the evening chainsawing my camper into a spot my uncle and cousins picked that was suited more for tents than 33' campers. First family deer camp in 29 years. Cousins Jimbo, Derek and Uncle Jim and my boy. The voices alone flood back the memories. Uncle Jim even brought some of Great Uncle Bobs ashes in the local river as he said he'd never had a better time than Deer Camp and asked Jim to Sprinkle some at camp and in the river. My boy is already in love with the camaraderie and wants to stay all week. I could care less if we see a deer. Btw, OK charges youth 100 bucks to hunt either sex deer and an 85 dollar NR permit fee...makes you realize how much AR just gives it away compared to these guys. Need to reside here and buy OOS license in AR.. Anyway, we gonna find us some cuts to glass. We've got some expensive deer to kill. 58° and overcast. Ill try to update when I have service. I dont expect this to be as good as a KS thread but what the heck?

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
I’m out in West Ok hunting you are right the non resident deer tags are ridiculous $300 for adult rifle then if you want to bow hunt it’s another $300, ML season another $300
Yep, and no carry over tag, you buy a MZ tag ($300) good for only 1 Buck and don’t put it on a deer, burnt, no good for gun or archery. O’ and those $300 prices are only for deer specific. If you want to hunt anything else, say small game, waterfowl or turkeys, they all also have their specific license along with tags and/or stamps needed to boot required for them also.

·
Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner
1,504 Posts
I'm looking forward to following along. Good luck. I sure do miss deer camp.

·
Member<br>2016 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>
590 Posts
I’m glad your young uns are enjoying the deer camp life. I have some very fond memories of it myself. Now it’s a bunch of old men that act like they are in the 8th grade.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not much hunting happened yesterday but I had the biggest smile on my face until I drifted off to sleep last night that I can remember...maybe since last time I was camped in this bottom. Me, my boy, cousin and Uncle Jim drove around together yesterday evening. I didnt even care if we saw a deer.. We ate fried potatoes and onions and buck backstrap for dinner and listened to the same lies I've missed and some new ones I thoroughly enjoyed.. Its raining this morning and Uncle Jim and my cousin left this morning. They've got jobs that can't wait I guess but I hated to see them go. My other cousin is gonna stay longer but is still sleeping with his girlfriend and her kids and they're leaving today but he's staying a bit longer which I'm tickled about. Road scouted all day yesterday, marking stuff on my map. Me and Drew driving in right now and got a little service and its still drizzling so we're checking in and scouting our way into a new cut I found in April, turkey hunting in here. Solid pine cuts and rednecks on this WMA. Id do better to head to the National Forest where there's hardwoods and I'd have an idea what to do. I figure it won't be half as busy after first week but there are 2 camps close to us that bigger populations than most the towns closeby
This trip was primarily about family and renewing a tradition for my boy and Wife and Daughter who are coming over in a few days. As I watched him yesterday morning watching us all intently with a huge smile on his face and asking to stay longer, this trip is a success and everything from here out is gravy. That said, as my family goes back home, I'll actually start to hunt. May end up pulling the camper North to some big woods. Until then, I'm about to dive into some cuts. Its killing me not to be going harder honestly but I think a few days of scouting will benefit the overall trip.
20201121_082738.jpg

·
Registered
13,292 Posts
In Arkansas if I were to buy a lifetime license then move out of state I will have to buy Nonresident license to hunt. IIRC of course.
The Lifetime Permit is nontransferable and is valid for the remainder of the permit holder’s life, even if the permit
holder moves out of state. The permit and a common form of identification must be carried by the sportsman
while hunting or fishing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts