Arkansas Hunting banner

101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
What do you do with it once its canned?
Use it like you would any other cannned fish. Eat it plain, make fish patties or a fish salad.

I froze a few small ones to fry. Score them every 1/8" to cut through the Y bones. Fry in hot grease and enjoy.
Red horse are a better sucker. These black suckers some red meat kind of like white bass that you need to cut off. The females don't have a lot of it so I pick a few small females to freeze for frying.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I would have to say a large mouth bass is the biggest trash fish seems like everyone that catches them throws them back. Crappie would be the best everyone wants to keep them even those guys that throw bass back!

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
A mess of kentuckys between a pound and a pound and a half is just as good eating as any fish that drinks water. I can't believe some of y'all eat a cypress trout and talk about how bass ain't fittin' to eat.

I won't eat any of the grinnell, gar, carp, rough fish. Why not? Because I don't have to. I've acquired a set of skills over the past 40 years that allows me throw those on the bank and still not go hungry.

I don't care for trout at all. I've heard people say "you ain't never had it cooked right." Blah, blah, blah. Doug Hodges couldn't make table fare out of them nasty things. And that's saying something. Pretty fish though.

My list of freshwater eating fish is as follows. Walleye could be in there too but I only catch those on accident while bass fishing.

1) crappie
1a) bream
2) flathead
3) bass
4) blue/channel (running water, not farm-raised)

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
I agree with JW except I’ll replace his #4 pick for white bass if my BIL catches and cleans all of them. I don’t like treble hooks in my skin and I’m too lazy to clean them the correct way.

·
Premium Member
17,816 Posts
A mess of kentuckys between a pound and a pound and a half is just as good eating as any fish that drinks water. I can't believe some of y'all eat a cypress trout and talk about how bass ain't fittin' to eat.

I won't eat any of the grinnell, gar, carp, rough fish. Why not? Because I don't have to. I've acquired a set of skills over the past 40 years that allows me throw those on the bank and still not go hungry.

I don't care for trout at all. I've heard people say "you ain't never had it cooked right." Blah, blah, blah. Doug Hodges couldn't make table fare out of them nasty things. And that's saying something. Pretty fish though.

My list of freshwater eating fish is as follows. Walleye could be in there too but I only catch those on accident while bass fishing.

1) crappie
1a) bream
2) flathead
3) bass
I love some bass.

·
Registered
26,736 Posts

1) crappie
1a) bream
2) flathead
3) bass
Flip 1a and 2 and you’ve got it nailed right there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Love Kentucky Bass..My opinion can't beat..Maybe flat Head..
A Gar if fillet the very top of the back like a Back Strap on a Deer..Is Excellent..Eating..
2-5 lbs..
Completely agree on the gar, I cleaned a very large gar and the back straps still tasted amazing, the meat is super gristly though is the only reason I don’t mess with them. I heard of gar balls but idk if it’s worth the hassle

101 - 120 of 152 Posts