Arkansas Hunting banner

81 - 100 of 152 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,080 Posts
Oh man! I assumed I was the only guy on here who had sucker gigged and grabbed. That is such a fun time.

Nothing like fresh suckers at 11pm on the river bank.

I still have my gig at the house just haven't been able to use it in a long time. May actually have two of them.

·
Registered
26,736 Posts
Oh man! I assumed I was the only guy on here who had sucker gigged and grabbed. That is such a fun time.

Nothing like fresh suckers at 11pm on the river bank.

I still have my gig at the house just haven't been able to use it in a long time. May actually have two of them.
It really is a ton of fun!

·
Premium Member
14,080 Posts
It is, Always remember when takin new folks gigging not to let them use the good ones.
You got that right. A newbie will dull that thing in no time flat. Or break off a tine.

The one I have was cut from the rear springs off a pickup. My favorite ones were made from old pitchforks but they are hard to come by nowadays.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've eaten sheepshead (drum, that we called perch) and carp. Never had gar or grinnel/bowfin, though I've caught plenty of both. Gar just usually got released via boat paddle from the trotlines...

Never had an issue with white bass, as long as you cut the red/gray meat out along the lateral line...never thought of them as a trash fish, and they are fun to catch...

Probably eaten bullheads as a kid, but would rather have channels, blues or flatheads.

Have eaten a lot of spoonbill/paddlefish; family used to snag them on the Mississippi...all cartilage...ring the tail, twist and pull out the spinal cord...grandfather used to cut them into "steaks" and smoke them.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
How did fight?
Hard!! I was bass fishing and watched that one hit a Yum Dinger on the livescope in about 20 feet of water. I wasn’t sure what it was, but knew it was big. It dwarfed the bass I was seeing on the graph screen. Catfish and gar are pretty easy to differentiate from bass on the screen. I wasn’t sure what that one was until I got it to the surface. I was hoping for a monster bass, but it was a fun fight nonetheless.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I've eaten sheepshead (drum, that we called perch) and carp. Never had gar or grinnel/bowfin, though I've caught plenty of both. Gar just usually got released via boat paddle from the trotlines...

Never had an issue with white bass, as long as you cut the red/gray meat out along the lateral line...never thought of them as a trash fish, and they are fun to catch...

Probably eaten bullheads as a kid, but would rather have channels, blues or flatheads.

Have eaten a lot of spoonbill/paddlefish; family used to snag them on the Mississippi...all cartilage...ring the tail, twist and pull out the spinal cord...grandfather used to cut them into "steaks" and smoke them.
Always heard that Spoonbills were good. One got tangled up on my frontline once on the Ouachita. I tried to filet it & all kinds of nasty green goo squirted out. It was nasty deep fried.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts

Back when I was a kid, my Uncle use to snag spoonbills. He did exactly as you said. Ring the tail and pull the spinal cord out. Gut' of course, then smoke it whole. Super good!

81 - 100 of 152 Posts