Official 2017 "take your best guess" season prediction thread

Discussion in 'Razorbacks' started by paxcolt, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:54 PM.

1. paxcolt

paxcolt Well-Known Member

Ok boys & girls, the season kicks off in 20 days. What's everybody thinking on the Hog's record this year, and why?

If they are going to improve on last year's 7-6, then I think most if not all of the following have to happen/have already happened:
    - the defense has to improve. I don't care if it's the switch to 3-4 or what, but they have to be more aggressive and create big plays. We kept sitting in a base D last year with minimal blitzing or stunts like we were scared of getting burned for big plays. Well, guess what, we kept getting burned anyway. Might as well take some chances at creating turnovers/sacks/negative yardage plays to offset the ones you give up. We don't have the talent to stay vanilla.
    - directly related to the point above: Dre Greenlaw has to stay healthy. He's by far our best LB, and our lack of speed/athleticism was exposed when he was lost.
    - our strength & conditioning coach has put less emphasis on strength and more on conditioning, speed, and agility this offseason. I don't give a crap how much you can bench & squat if you can't catch the guy you're supposed to tackle, reach the guy you're supposed to block, or be able to play 4 quarters instead of just the first half.
    - the O-line (especially one guy in particular) has to be vastly improved at pass protection
    - AA has to get rid of the ball quicker
    -Devwah Whaley has to stay healthy, and a couple of the freshmen RB's better grow up quick. Losing RW3 was brutal. The transfer from South Carolina has the reputation of either running into the back of his blockers on inside runs, or trying to bounce it outside when he doesn't have the speed to get to the edge, so I don't have a lot of faith there.
    - several of the unproven WR's need to be the real deal.
    - the team as a whole has to develop more of a killer instinct to stop having 2nd-half collapses.

That's a lot of stuff that has to go right. Probably too much stuff. The potential for 9 wins is there, but I don't see it happening. I'm going with 7-6 counting the mid-level bowl game.

2. pprob

pprob Well-Known Member

I hope 8 -5. But for the first time that I can remember I'm not excited about the season starting.

arkrem870 likes this.

3. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

last year we were 8-4 with a MO win, which should have happened, then 9-4 with the bowl win which should have happened too

I'll guess 8-4 and a bowl win for a 9-4 season

4. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    7-5, but very easily 6-6. I'm trying to be optimistic, but I just don't know. The 3-4 defense worries the ever living hell out of me.

5. curdog1

curdog1 Well-Known Member

harrison
    11-1

6. hawgpharm

hawgpharm Well-Known Member

7-5 regular season with a win in the Independence/Liberty/Music City/Belk bowl.

However, if we suffer some key injuries like AA or Greenlaw, I think we could be 5-7 easily.

7. paxcolt

paxcolt Well-Known Member

It worries me too, but the D can't be much worse than it was last year. I'm more worried about only having 1 semi-proven RB in a league where you need 3. We REALLY don't need to become one-dimensional on offense.

- oh, forgot one: special teams in general, and field-goal kicking in particular, have to get much better too.

8. stickslinger48

stickslinger48 Well-Known Member

Pope
    6-6

9. nick83

nick83 Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>2014

cabot
    9-3. We lose to bama,auburn and lsu

10. outdoorjunkiebj

outdoorjunkiebj Well-Known Member

6-7
    4th quarter CHOKESVILLE, like normal. We probly hold some kind of record for games lost in the 4th.

11. brushcreek

brushcreek Well-Known Member Supporting Member

2 games is not a record

12. Bucker10

Bucker10 Well-Known Member

7-6

13. mb1991

mb1991 Well-Known Member

Allen, o-line starters, agim, greenlaw, and pulley stay healthy I say 9-4 with bowl win is reasonable. Defense can't be worse than last year and believe Kline is going to be improved. If a main player goes down then 6-6 or worse is likely

14. pharmdeez

pharmdeez Well-Known Member

Baum
    I like to give a three game range, so I'll go 6-8 wins this year plus a bowl win. Last year I picked 7-9 wins if that tells you anything.

15. Bologna Budget

Bologna Budget Well-Known Member

Hogs win 4

16. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Well-Known Member

They could realistically win 9 games or just as easily :poop: the bed and finish 5-7. I'm not expecting to compete for a natty year in and year out. I'm just trying to keep apathy from setting in at this point. Only so many times I can watch the same thing over and over before I start assuming the outcome. I'll still watch every week through the highs and lows but I look for something in the neighborhood of last years record when it's all said and done. Three or four non-conference wins and three or four conference wins. AGAIN

17. Chasegal88

Chasegal88 Well-Known Member

My prediction is they're going to win one they should have lost and lose a couple they should have won...

pharmdeez likes this.
  18. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member

I agree with the lose some they should have won part...

19. BIG DOG

BIG DOG Well-Known Member

9-4 if they stay healthy