odd statement in today's paper

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by brushcreek, Dec 6, 2012.

1. brushcreek

brushcreek Well-Known Member

bryan Hendricks with the Arkansas Democrat Gazette was talking about the dangers of using your scope instead of binoculars in his article this morning and went on say that "putting a scope on a sub-legal deer could result in a ticket." I don't believe this is accurate but somone jump in if I am wrong.

2. odocoi

odocoi Well-Known Member

Maybe the dipstick was suggesting someone could accidentally pull the trigger while scoping a sub-legal deer. There is nothing wrong with checking every deer with the scope, just don't knock off the safety until ready to shoot.

3. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I could see an overzealous warden making the claim that you were attempting to take an illegal deer if you were pointing a loaded rifle at it. I wouldn't worry that much about it.

4. mikebri

mikebri Well-Known Member

5. steve72444

steve72444 Well-Known Member

If you read Bryan Hendricks very much you come to understand he is a bit of a doorknob.

6. Hēlim

Hēlim Well-Known Member

Zone 12
    I've told this before, but last year we had a member on our lease that shot a little forked horn. He told the warden that he was looking at it through the scope when the gun went off. True story, he only got a warning.:smack:

7. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

What upsets me is to see another hunter looking at me while I am in my tree stand, through his scope. I have had that happen to me twice. :thumb:

8. SusieKiller

SusieKiller Well-Known Member

Odd statement and Bryan Hendricks go hand in hand. I can't remember the number of e-mails I've sent him regarding his ridiculous comments.

9. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

I don't read the paper so I can't weigh in on the writer's comments. But I've got some strong beliefs about this topic in general. Binoculars (or monoculars, spotting scopes, etc.) should be used for evaluating game, not rifle scopes. If you want to look at something at a distance there is no reason to point a rifle at it to do so. Binoculars are for looking; scopes are for aiming. Using a scope on a rifle just to enhance the view of something breaks the cardinal rule of gun safety: Never point it at anything you don't want to destroy. Unloaded or not, safety on or not, never point it at something you don't want to destroy. Follow that rule without deviation and no one will ever be injured by your gun. In most situations you also have to factor in the excitement and decreased judgment that comes with an animal encounter. Add in the fact that most people using a scope to look at an animal are hoping that they are about to get a chance to pull the trigger, and you've got a potential recipe for disaster.

I'll say it again: Binoculars are for looking; scopes are for aiming. I preach it to every kid I take out and make it a rule at every range event I where I help officiate.

10. brushcreek

I hear what you are saying but in 25 years of hunting I've never "accidentally" shot something I did not intend to shoot. There are other rules of safety that mitigate the risk of using the scope to look at game, in my opinion.

11. Wes Ramsey

Wes Ramsey Well-Known Member

I get your point as well, but when I'm deer hunting and I see a deer, I intend to destroy it. You don't always have time to dig out the binos and try to count points before the chance of filling a tag is gone. If I see a deer or any other critter I'm after, my scope will be pointed directly at it until such time I decide not to shoot it or it is dead.

12. Veo

Veo Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Contest Winner

Same here, a lot of my rifle stands are on power lines and logging roads where you have 2-5 seconds to decide and shoot often. So it's not often practical to use binos then switch to rifle.

Now I don't glass movement with the scope but when a deer steps out its getting the scope.

13. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree with Brushcreek, Wes Ramsey and Veo. I want to be clear: If it's an animal I know I'm going to shoot, I don't bother with the binoculars. But if I'm evaluating an animal to decide whether to shoot it, or checking movement I thought was an animal, or I'm not sure what the animal is, or looking at something unknown (perhaps some idiot in camo not wearing his orange during gun season), I use the binoculars every time. I almost won't set foot into woods without them, and I feel naked when I do. I started carrying them as a teenager and I've been consistently using them at least 25 years. I even carry them when bowhunting, which I will agree is totally unnecessary but it's a habit. I'll admit that I've lost out on some shots over the years by going to the binoculars first on a fast moving animal, but I've never been troubled by it. The risk of destroying something I don't want to destroy -- however infinitesimal that risk may be -- is not worth it to me.

14. thompson

thompson Well-Known Member

Arkansas
    Hey, the safety on the gun has to play a major role in this conversation......,,

15. brushcreek

We could totally eliminate the risk by giving up hunting and staying at home. Like everything else there are extremes and I believe in finding a reasonable approach somewhere in the middle. I choose to use my safety as Thompson said, I can appreciate your viewpoint however.

16. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

And not having your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot!

17. GotPork

GotPork Select Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>The Naked Retrei

:head: I thought that's what the variable power on a scope was suppose to be used for???......To "check em out".......:head: Welp, that's what mines used for anyway!!:biggrin:

18. bmccullough1

bmccullough1 Well-Known Member

Personally, I use binoculars to identify my intended target if needed. I use my scope to aim for my shot. The variable power is to better see my target at longer distances. If I don't have time to evaluate & properly ID my target, I do not shoot. There are no shortcuts for being safe with a loaded high powered rifle.

19. Popadoe

Popadoe Well-Known Member

Me too!