Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy I work with caught a fish on Lake Conway this weekend that he's never seen before. I looked through everything I could find online to help him ID it, but none of the pics I pulled up looked right to him. I know this would be a better story with pictures, but he didn't take any, and he didn't keep the fish. Anyway, he said the body was long, kinda like a bowfin, but the head looked like that of a catfish, whiskers and all. It had jagged teeth (some longer than others), scales, and was about 2ft long.

Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking it was a grinnel/bowfin, but he said it wasn't. Man I hope its not a snakehead. I'll have to take a couple weeks off work to go fishing...Marcel Ledbedder style! I sent him the link to see what he says...

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,644 Posts
I have caught several Bowfin/Grinnel in my life. The color can vary widely. I know that most book descriptions of the bowfin actually list cream colored belly...

They DO have the pair of short wiskers on the upper part of the mouth just as you describe, and they also have the same sort of teeth you describe.

My opinion - he caught a light colored grinnel....

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
I'd put money on it being a grinnel too. Wes, there are plenty of grinnel in Conway. We've shot a few while bowfishing for gar and carp and other roughfish. They live in most of the places gar live.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.