Oakland gun buyback nets hundreds

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by ozarkhunter, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Well-Known Member

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/S-F-Oakland-gun-buyback-nets-hundreds-4121621.php

Arturo Hurtado of Richmond was still stricken with grief over the mass shooting in Newtown, Conn., that left 20 schoolchildren dead when he awoke Saturday morning.

So he decided to get rid of his gun - "that darn thing," he called it - and purged it from his home.

"I've got kids, man," said Hurtado, who works at Waste Management in Oakland and has children ages 14, 10, 6 and 1. "Kids are curious. Kids don't know any better. I had it locked in a toolbox, so I don't know. ... I just know it had to go."

Hurtado was among hundreds of Bay Area residents who dropped off their firearms at buyback locations in Oakland and San Francisco on Saturday, collecting $200 cash for their weapon, no questions asked.

Organizers said both locations saw crowds twice as large as expected. In East Oakland, a mile-long line of cars waited on 82nd Avenue to enter a parking lot at St. Benedict's Church, with some running out of gas while idling. In San Francisco, people stood in pouring rain outside the Omega Boys Club in the Dogpatch neighborhood to exchange their guns for cash.

By the end of the day, organizers expected more than 600 guns to be turned in.

Hurtado was a rare customer. Not only was Friday's school shooting his primary motivation, but also he walked away without taking the cash.

"I'm just glad it's out of my house," he said.

Some spending money

Most, however, were happy to make off with a little spending money for the holidays while checking a concern off the to-do list. One Oakland resident who declined to give his name said his uncle suffered from dementia and it was time "to tie up the loose ends around the house." Another 79-year-old woman sold three handguns that belonged to her deceased husband. Elizabeth Jackson, 59, said she was moving to Tracy and wanted to sell two handguns and a shotgun before she left town. "But I'm keeping one for protection," she added.

George Harris, 66, of Montclair said he was selling back three handguns he had inherited. He said he feared his home would get burglarized, putting his guns in the hands of criminals.

"I'm happy to do this," Harris said as his wait in line passed the two-hour mark. "But I wish it was more efficient."

Olis Simmons, president of Youth UpRising, the East Oakland nonprofit that helped coordinate the buyback effort, said while the school shooting on the other side of the country was still fresh on the minds of locals, the strong turnout was driven more by the continuing gun violence in Oakland. Just hours before the buyback began at 10 a.m., for example, four people were wounded by gunfire about six blocks from the church.

Oakland homicides a factor

"One hundred twenty-plus homicides in Oakland this year is the driving force for today," Simmons said. "Yesterday's tragedy was a tragedy. People feel despair about gun violence in America and the question is, 'What can I do?' Well, this is it."

In San Francisco, residents wrapped hunting rifles in wool blankets and carried their handguns in pillowcases. People waiting in line said a neighbor brought carnations to "lighten the mood" and some residents corked their guns with flowers.

Tony Vaughn, 52, who had a flower sticking from his .22-caliber rifle, said he had hidden the gun behind a water heater years ago. After Friday's shooting rampage in Connecticut, he remembered where he put it and decided to turn it in.

"Not just better for this city," Vaughn said of the weapon that will be destroyed, "but for the whole world."

San Francisco Sgt. Hector Jusino recalled a department buyback day in 2007, when officers set up shop at the Civic Center and collected 100 guns. He predicted 300 guns would be taken in Saturday.

"Based on this success," he said, "I think our department would be open to doing it again."

In Oakland, so many residents had lined up that the private donor who financed the paybacks doubled the resources and sent more cash to the church parking lot.

Capt. Ersie Joyner looked at the long line of cars.

"Unfortunately, we'll still run out of money before we run out of guns," he said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/S-F-Oakland-gun-buyback-nets-hundreds-4121621.php#ixzz2FKuRJpaA

2. CBD

CBD Well-Known Member

Well, that sheds some light on how many of our citizens feel about the "dreadful" gun.

3. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Well-Known Member

Don't you just love how one guy just hid a .22 behind the water heater and forgot about it? :smack:

4. Urbanites.

5. tkcampb1

tkcampb1 Well-Known Member

unbelievable....

6. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Well-Known Member

Well I guess all the thugs in Oakland now know who's house they can hit and not have to worry about getting shot.

7. "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." TJ

8. John Taylor

John Taylor Well-Known Member

If they would collect the crazy people the guns wouldn't harm anyone. These people turning in their guns may be in trouble when an intruder enters their home. They are now sitting ducks for criminals who will have guns. This is crazy. I know no one needs an assult rifle or fully automatic weapon and thousands of rounds of amo. But as far as owning a hunting rifle or shotgun and reasonable handgun every able minded person should be allowed to own. KEY WORKS, "ABLE MINDED"

I just can't understand all the crazy stuff going on in our country these days. people have just lowered their standards and want to look like tuggs and act like tuggs. Tatto's all over their bodies, enlarged ear lobs, freaky masks or makeup, sagging pants, prisoners have rights and live better then some of our working productive citizens that are having a hard time putting food on the table and cloths on their children and themselves and the list goes on. Our elected officials, some that once elected are in for life, or once they no longer hold the position are paid for life. They don't care anything about the law abiding man. They only care about themselves and will pass anykind of law that they think will bring them votes.

We need to bring God back into our homes and Country. We can blame our elected officials for allowing laws that took God out of our schools and country. All the freaks are coming out which will lead to the destruction of not only our nation but our world.

9. Wow. Wonder how many criminals are moving to Oakland

10. Veo

Veo Super Member<br>2012 Turkey Contest Winner

Exactly, and these are people who OWNED guns already. Think about how the ones that have never owned one feels.

We can sit and say all we want, "oh I'm not standing for it" but the bottom line is we are fighting an uphill battle that we now are defenseless against. If they start making bans and laws, there's nothing we can do about it.

11. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a couple of guns I would bring in for $200 cash each!

12. Texan44

Texan44 Well-Known Member

All the guns they turned in were prolly stolen anyway......." no questions asked" .

13. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

money making deal for people who had $50 guns ........ and probably all tax payer money ?

does anyone REALLY think anyone but honest people gave up their guns here? no criminals did ...

14. tkcampb1

tkcampb1 Well-Known Member

x's 2

15. And after years behind the water heater the gooberment paid him $200 for it!. I'll bet it was worth every bit of $35

16. huddy

huddy Well-Known Member

cash for clunkers

17. CBD

CBD Well-Known Member

I truly wish the Civil War had turned out differently and the Southern States were a country to themselves. There is just too much difference in the way we think and our way of life when compared to the liberal mind and theirs.

18. marshmallow

marshmallow Well-Known Member

Crossett
    Unfreakingbelievable!

19. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    I wonder how many gangbangers were lined up turning in guns.

I love the "No Questions Asked" part. Do a crime, turn it in and the evidence is gone forever. :thumb:

Stupid is as stupid does.

I have a few old clunkers I wish I could get $200 each for!! I'd head straight to the gun shop and buy some good stuff. :biggrin:

20. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

This sounds like a good way to discard guns that have been used in murders.