Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started hunting, haven't even had a chance to put a fight on a deer. Looking for any advice that can help bag a deer. Don't own any land so will have to stick to WMAs. Looking forward to learning and passing it down to my kids. Have read and watched anything I can find and still not feeling to confident. Hate to say I need someone to hold my hand but yeah I just may

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
Just started hunting, haven't even had a chance to put a fight on a deer. Looking for any advice that can help bag a deer. Don't own any land so will have to stick to WMAs. Looking forward to learning and passing it down to my kids. Have read and watched anything I can find and still not feeling to confident. Hate to say I need someone to hold my hand but yeah I just may
Go get in a tree and start figuring it out. This time of year go walk the woods on a wet afternoon and pay close attention to where you see deer and deer sign.

Dont swing for the fences, just enjoy it. You can probably find a mentor, but you can get out there and figure a whole lot of it out with some time and effort.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go get in a tree and start figuring it out. This time of year go walk the woods on a wet afternoon and pay close attention to where you see deer and deer sign.

Dont swing for the fences, just enjoy it. You can probably find a mentor, but you can get out there and figure a whole lot of it out with some time and effort.
that's what I've been doing so far. have found a few signs and spotted a few deer. Trying to get a better idea of their movement this week to set up a blind next week.

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
that's what I've been doing so far. have found a few signs and spotted a few deer. Trying to get a better idea of their movement this week to set up a blind next week.
Deer often take some time to get used to a blind, so either get in a tree or brush it in real good.

Which WMA you on?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deer often take some time to get used to a blind, so either get in a tree or brush it in real good.

Which WMA you on?
Wedington at this time. Will move further south once i feel comfortable. still working on getting a tree stand and since i want to take kids blind seemed like better option. problem being on public is i can't set up and leave it so have to tear down everytime.

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
Hobbs and McIlroy Madison County are to your east and hold deer pretty well.

Wish you the best. When you kill the first one you'll think you've won the lottery. Can't wait to see it posted here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hobbs is on my list. With McIlroy being in the red CWD zone im staying away as I dont know anyone that can process it for me to take out of the zone. I'll have a hard enough problem figuring out how to gut it on my own

·
Premium Member
5,033 Posts
Hobbs is a little bit different because there are walking trails all over it. I try to access my spots without coming into sight of those trails because one I don't want someone else knowing where I'm hunting and two I don't want to run into an anti-hunter. That somewhat restricts the area that I deem useful for hunting to just a few spots. I will say the people at the game and fish building out there are really helpful to hunters. They will give you a map and highlight the areas that are off limits and the wma boundaries which gives me some piece of mind about hunting there.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hobbs is 100% timber, use the On-X hunting app to locate the fringe. Wherever the timber meets the grass, that's money. Avoid the walking trails

Wedington, its not that hard to figure out. Its got public fields & timber. Hunt/scout the fringe. Once you find a couple trails, work your way into the woods. If it ever snows & packs down for a day or two, you need to burn vacation time & spend an entire day walking as many trails as you can find. This has helped me piece together the puzzle over the years. Don't expect anything in the first season. Just scout hard all the way up until the woods turn green. It will pay dividends next season.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check out bow hunting only area you can access of Rambo road just look hard at maps - its good area and holds quite a few deer the closer to the edge the better off you are avoid big timber deer love the edge
The bowhunting only zone in Hobbs definitely has deer. I've seen some in that area but haven't tried hunting it. I think I'll give it a go this year!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dont think there's any regulation for that. Actually, where the new trail is in the archery only area, it probably wont mess up the hunting too much.
Awesome I know Bella Vista you have to be 50 yards from any trail. At least the new one at Hobbs looks to stick to the border mostly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts