Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Select Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s going on here? Two company’s using the same trade name or was there a buyout maybe?

IMG_8103.jpg

IMG_8104.jpg

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
I would suspect that the term “Nut Grub” is considered a generic, non-copyrighted or patent term, kinda like rice bran or deer corn. The trademark protection would be for the producing manufacture not the product.

As example, Michelin invented the first radial tire in 1949, got a patent on their technology, but the term radial was not able to be prioritized by them, in no time every other tire company was marketing a “Radial” tire.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I know the stuff from Ja farms doesn’t seem as clean as the other. I’ve had some pretty good sizes of stalk material in the bags I have bought and it doesn’t smell as good as the other one did best I can remember.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I did a test this year with Corn, Rice Bran, Nut Grub and Swamp Chomp. At five locations I poured a pile of each. Of course the corn was hit (pics of deer, hogs, coons, squirrels, crows and turkeys eating it). The Swamp Chomp was the go-to for the deer at each stand. Literally ate a hole in the ground 2-3 inches deep. At three of the stands 90% of the Rice Bran and Nut Grub is still there four weeks later. Two of the stands I quit putting out the Swamp Chomp and they finally ate both the Rice Bran (ate it first) and then the Nut Grub. At those two stands my deer pictures dropped by half after I quit the Swamp Chomp. The guys at the feed store had told me he is selling this 8 to 1 over the Nut Grub.

Edit to say that I have hundreds of pics of hogs, and only a few of the pics are they eating anything but the corn.

·
Select Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would suspect that the term “Nut Grub” is considered a generic, non-copyrighted or patent term, kinda like rice bran or deer corn. The trademark protection would be for the producing manufacture not the product.

As example, Michelin invented the first radial tire in 1949, got a patent on their technology, but the term radial was not able to be prioritized by them, in no time every other tire company was marketing a “Radial” tire.
So with that said, I’m guessing both have the same ingredients?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I feed corn, rice bran, and nut grub. Where can I get some of this Swamp Chomp around LR that you speak of?

·
Premium Member
25,836 Posts
I did a test this year with Corn, Rice Bran, Nut Grub and Swamp Chomp. At five locations I poured a pile of each. Of course the corn was hit (pics of deer, hogs, coons, squirrels, crows and turkeys eating it). The Swamp Chomp was the go-to for the deer at each stand. Literally ate a hole in the ground 2-3 inches deep. At three of the stands 90% of the Rice Bran and Nut Grub is still there four weeks later. Two of the stands I quit putting out the Swamp Chomp and they finally ate both the Rice Bran (ate it first) and then the Nut Grub. At those two stands my deer pictures dropped by half after I quit the Swamp Chomp. The guys at the feed store had told me he is selling this 8 to 1 over the Nut Grub.

Edit to say that I have hundreds of pics of hogs, and only a few of the pics are they eating anything but the corn.
put a 32” field fence around your bait site and you will save enough money in month to pay for the fence. My hogs eat it all - they absolutely love nut grub. I have done some experiments with different brands also. They will eat one over the other, but will pretty much eat it all if that is the only thing available. Some of it definitely draws more bucks.

·
Member<br>2016 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>
2,754 Posts

Same experience I've had, they seem to prefer the Swamp Chomp over anything else I've put out. They'll eat every bit of it before they'll even touch anything else. I put a pile of nut grub right beside it and the swamp Chomp was completely gone in two days, the nut grub lasted about 5 days.

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
I feed corn, rice bran, and nut grub. Where can I get some of this Swamp Chomp around LR that you speak of?
It is made not too far from LR at Petrus Seed and Grain in between Carlisle and Hazen.

They sell direct from warehouse or I’m sure they can tell you who is carrying it closer to your local.

If you running a spinner, check out the Trails End Delight they make for a variable to just plain corn.

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
So with that said, I’m guessing both have the same ingredients?
I say primarily Yes. Even the Swamp Chomp is basically the same as nut grub but with a few extra things added and most likely a different percentage of each ingredient and flavor additives.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
SC, I stated my edit wrong. The hogs haven't really touched anything but the corn. If I put out 50 pounds, they would stay until it was all gone. We thinned 11 out since the last weekend of MZ, so my pics have drastically dropped. I do like the idea of the fence though.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I am telling you guys. Try ground hominy. I have seen them past corn, sweat feed, rice brand and many others. To have half a dozen over the hominy.

·
Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner
10,352 Posts
$11 a 50 at our local store. Can’t comment on “more bucks”.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
$11 is what i give also. I also can't say for sure more bucks either. I can say that while on a stand, 75%+ of the deer I see come and eat some. Bucks and does. So far a 7pt, two eight points and a 9 pt have regretted their decision over it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts