Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I have an opportunity to mark one item off my hunting bucket list this November. There is a good chance I will be in South Dakota pheasant hunting in early November and I have never done this before. So, I need tips on gear.

Boots - Right now I need a new pair of hunting boots and have been looking at Danner and Irish Setter. Experience with those or others would be appreciated. I want to buy this summer and have them broken in by fall.

Coat/jacket - Upland field jacket? What would someone recommend.

Airline approved gun case - I don't typically fly on hunting trips but will on this one. What is a good, airline approved case that I won't need a bank loan to purchase?

Any other tips or tricks you can give me would be appreciated as well.

Oh yeah, the best part of this is other than the items above it will be all expenses paid, guided trip from a nice lodge. :up:

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
I've been pheasant hunting once in Kansas probably close to 40 years ago. It was in November and I remember it being between 15 and 25 degrees with a howling wind one of the days. I stayed warm because I was one of the ones walking the 4 mile long fields pushing the pheasants.
I wore a shell vest over a warm coat. comfortable boots that you can walk in should do.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Good brush pants, plenty of blaze orange , don't plan on loading your gun until 10:00 a.m. - state rules. High Brass #5 loads are ideal and brace yourself for their God awful cackle when they flush ! Plan on lots of walking and put most of your trust in the dogs . . .and the last place you'd expect one to be hiding . . .is exactly where he will flush from . The like standing corn and real thick cattail / phragmite cover too . After you see a big rooster you'll know which ones are hens , which we can't shoot. Good luck

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
You will prob not walk much more than a mile per day if I were guessing. I'd get some brush pants, any jacket will work, a game vest, and a orange hat. Our hunts were not much over an hour start to finish per day before we killed 3 roosters a piece w/20+ guns. Who are you hunting with?

·
Premium Member
29,752 Posts
Find out if you are going to hunting all private, or some public also. If some public, you might need some steel shot. I have hunted SD probably 20 times - it can be freezing cold and foot deep snow or 80 degrees with rattlers crawling around. WATERPROOF boots - either make will be fine. Yes, a vest over your coat. Some gloves you can shoot with. Some shooting glasses if you hunt with a big group. And have fun.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. We will be hunting at the Pheasant Crest Lodge in Kimball, SD. They provide all the ammo so I'll just be brining my shotgun.

Gloves, I had overlooked that item and that could make life miserable. Guess I'll be boot shopping soon.

Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
If your not use to doing a lot of walking, I'd advise you start doing some. I'd say we walked 7-8 miles a day. Some of it thur Bull Rushes which is hard walking. Also Opening morning we were there on first weekend of November 2 years ago, it was 14 degrees with 30 mph winds.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've hunted out of Aberdeen several times. I've been when it was 80 degrees and when it was -10. One thing is for sure, the wind will be howling no matter what the temperature. Good pair of broken in boots and brush pants and layer on top depending on the weather. Gloves and face protection if it's cold!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.