Not eating & labored breathing

Discussion in 'Ask the Vet' started by Sappruski, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Sappruski

Sappruski Well-Known Member

Hello, my 9 year old German Shepard started limping last week and couldn't walk (thought possibly a snake bit as it reached 80 that day last week). We took him to the vet and and he couldn't find anything wrong and did an Xray and said it looked good. took him back home with some antibiotics and the swelling went down on his leg and he started walking again.

Then after a few more days he has stopped eating and has labored breathing... Any ideas??

Thanks

Jamey

2. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Is he drinking? Antibiotics pretty much kill beneficial bacteria that aid in digestion. Has he been doing his bowel movements? Do you hear any crackle/rattle noises when he breathes? Might be a good idea to call your vet asap.

3. Sappruski

I have a call into him now, and may have to take him back in... But he will drink but very very little. I did see him pee yesterday but not poop, but he may not have enough food to poop after not eating the last two days?? The vet should call me back around 9:30 this morning and he knows my dog. just a little worried on this one..
    Thanks

4. ArkGirl

ArkGirl Well-Known Member

Definitely time for another trip to the vet. Can you take his temperature? I hope he gets better quick for ya.

5. Sappruski

I can't do the temp now but the vet said time for some bloodwork so we are going back in.
    Thanks

6. ArkGirl

Let us know what you find out!

7. Sappruski

Enlarged heart. There was a large amount of fluid in his chest that was causing the labored breathing. Drained most of the fluid and trying to get heart rate down and if sowe may have bought another year maybe. The next few days will be critical. Thanks

John Stiles likes this.
  8. Sappruski

Well we had to put our GSD down yesterday morning... Probably the worst day i have ever had

9. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Sorry for your pain and loss, too bad dogs cant live longer, the Almighty created them for a reason...and not even a sparrow falls from a tree that He doesn't notice. When you can....go get yourself another best friend to love on. God Bless!

Sappruski likes this.
  10. ArkGirl

Grief is the price we pay for love. I believe it is worth the cost. So sorry you had to say goodbye to your friend...we are never ready to let them go.

Sappruski likes this.
  11. So sorry for losing your dog. They really become part of the family.

Sappruski likes this.
  12. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

losing dogs suck - it really does, sorry

Sappruski likes this.