Norfork WMA - Seward point

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by govslug, Dec 7, 2012.

1. govslug

govslug Member

Has anyone hunted here ? Can you get into this area from a road and hows the hunting there ? Want to try this area out some day but looking at aerials there doesn't seem to be access ?

2. fisherman505

fisherman505 Well-Known Member

There is a road that goes right through the area and even branches off to cover most of the land. Problem is someone owns the property where the road starts and he put a chain across it with no trespassing signs all over the place. I called the COE and they said since he owns the land, he can do that. There is another access at the far North end of Seward but it's gated and you have to walk in. From that gate to the far end of the place has to be at least five miles so you'd have to hunt around the gate in order not to get hemorrhoids dragging a deer out of the place.

The above said, there are miles of lake shoreline that you can access the place from. You would launch at Cranfield and from the point at Cranfield Island all the way up to Bodenhammer Bend constitutes the Seward Point area. I would say it is almost as big as the Norfork WMA directly across the lake from it which is a couple of thousand acres. The difference between Norfork WMA and Seward is that Norfork WMA is bow only while Seward is gun or bow. Seward used to be fairly heavily hunted when the road was open but I think hunting is 'light' now days.

Cheers.....

3. Ozark hunter

Ozark hunter Well-Known Member

you have to be part goat to hunt that place... there are some steep hollers. sewards point is apart of norfork wma, there are 5 units in the wma, indian head and chapin point are archery only. if you're headed north on 101 towards gamaliel from mountain home there is a huge sign on the road that tells you where to turn. better check the book for firearm dates, i'm sure the firearm season is over in the wma for the rest of the season. if you want to hunt there let me know and i'll go with ya

4. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

I did not know that ....

5. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

6. Ozark hunter

Ozark hunter Well-Known Member

archery only at indian head and chapin point. bennets, sewards and fulton county units have firearm dates

7. govslug

govslug Member

Firearms is done for the year , but next year I want to hunt in there. I've been hunting over in Sylamore so I'm starting to get hoofs so I know what you mean . I drug one out this year and luckily it dropped in it's tracks during muzzleloader season . Last year was different..lost one down in a holler , but when down there looking for it I realized I probably never would have got him out . He was a monster. So next year...yes...would like to get in there with someone and try hunting that area.

8. fisherman505

fisherman505 Well-Known Member

Well, there are some good deer in there. It's also fairly large. But the best way to get to it is by boat. If you do use a boat, make sure you have a good cable and lock along so you have a boat to go back home with. I might add that since the lake fluctuates so much, sometimes it can be 50-feet to the nearest tree to lock your boat to. Lowes or Home Depot sell 25-foot cables and I always have two in the boat just to make sure I have enough to lock the boat to a tree.

Best of luck if you do make it back in there.

Cheers.....