Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to fish for Stripers at Lake Norfork this spring. I've never fished there and don't have the equipment or boat. I'd like to take my son on a good Striper trip. I've searched the web, but I'd like to get a recommendation from someone who has had good success with a guide. Does anyone know of a good one?

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have either of you used Bink’s before? I booked a half day (4 hour), $250 trip for last week and it was a total bust. We didn’t get a bite and Bink was a terrible guide.

This was a once in a lifetime trip for us since I don’t plan to pay that kind of money again for a fishing trip. I told Bink this trip was for my 10 year old son and asked if he had a problem taking kids. He assured me as long as my son could cast and reel he would do great. His website emphasized that every trip is a learning experience. I told him to assume we knew nothing about Striper fishing since we had never done it before.

Bink told us if we wanted to catch fish to yank hard when we felt a bite. Then he made one cast and reeled in showing us how to let the bait fall as we reeled in. That was the extent of the learning experience. Bink got the front seat and sat there and fished the whole time. Unless we asked a question, he never offered any pointers or tips. My son and I never got a bite. Bink caught 2 hybrid bass and let my son reel them in.

My son was in the middle of the boat trying to cast and made a couple errors but nothing serious. Bink told him, “Sonny, maybe you better lay that pole down.”

When you aren’t catching fish, the guide could tell a few jokes or carry on a conversation. Bink didn’t event attempt it. It was one of the longest 4 hours of my life. Within 2 hours, my boy started asking what time we could go home. After 3 and a half hours Bink asked if we wanted to call it a night. I talked him into fishing another 20 minutes but still didn’t get any bites.

He never touched a fish. We put took them off the hook, put them in the live well and packaged them up when we left. At one point, my son asked him, “How do you clean the big fish when you catch them?” Bink retorted, “I don’t clean them. You do!”

By this time I was sick. The expense of driving from the Little Rock area to Lake Norfork topped off by the $250 guide fee was not as bad as ruining a memorable experience for me and my son. I consider it an expensive lesson and hope others will learn from my mistake. My 10 year old summed it up this way, “Binks stinks.”

· Registered
22,580 Posts
Have either of you used Bink’s before? I booked a half day (4 hour), $250 trip for last week and it was a total bust. We didn’t get a bite and Bink was a terrible guide.

This was a once in a lifetime trip for us since I don’t plan to pay that kind of money again for a fishing trip. I told Bink this trip was for my 10 year old son and asked if he had a problem taking kids. He assured me as long as my son could cast and reel he would do great. His website emphasized that every trip is a learning experience. I told him to assume we knew nothing about Striper fishing since we had never done it before.

Bink told us if we wanted to catch fish to yank hard when we felt a bite. Then he made one cast and reeled in showing us how to let the bait fall as we reeled in. That was the extent of the learning experience. Bink got the front seat and sat there and fished the whole time. Unless we asked a question, he never offered any pointers or tips. My son and I never got a bite. Bink caught 2 hybrid bass and let my son reel them in.

My son was in the middle of the boat trying to cast and made a couple errors but nothing serious. Bink told him, “Sonny, maybe you better lay that pole down.”

When you aren’t catching fish, the guide could tell a few jokes or carry on a conversation. Bink didn’t event attempt it. It was one of the longest 4 hours of my life. Within 2 hours, my boy started asking what time we could go home. After 3 and a half hours Bink asked if we wanted to call it a night. I talked him into fishing another 20 minutes but still didn’t get any bites.

He never touched a fish. We put took them off the hook, put them in the live well and packaged them up when we left. At one point, my son asked him, “How do you clean the big fish when you catch them?” Bink retorted, “I don’t clean them. You do!”

By this time I was sick. The expense of driving from the Little Rock area to Lake Norfork topped off by the $250 guide fee was not as bad as ruining a memorable experience for me and my son. I consider it an expensive lesson and hope others will learn from my mistake. My 10 year old summed it up this way, “Binks stinks.”
Wow!!! Who else has had experience with Binks Guide Service?

· Registered
3,239 Posts
I wouldnt use a guide. I would find some friends or people that go and ask if you can go with them. Heck my dad goes all the time as well as my brother. Both of their boats are all rigged up for it and they enjoy company. I would do some asking around before I dropped big bucks for a guide.

· Registered
1,143 Posts
Believe it or not, Bink is probably one of the better or maybe one of the best guides on Lake Norfork. He really knows his stuff when it comes to Stripers and Walleye. Unfortunately, his personality or demeanor leaves a whole bunch to be desired. His prices are also a bit higher than most guides as well. That said, I sure am sorry you had such a terrible experience up here, especially for your son.

Believe me, I am no fan of Darrel Bink. I fish Norfork a lot and since Stripers tend to bunch up in certain parts of the lake, I've run across Bink more than once. He has the typical Striper Guide "junkyard dawg mentality" when it comes to fishing anywhere near him so even trolling fifty yards from him will elicit a response or two. But again, a lot of Striper Guides are that way if you get too close to them.

Anyway, sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Hopefully, next time around, things will be better.

Cheers.....

· Registered
632 Posts
Well dang. I would like to learn a little about catching stripers. I've never caught any unless they were running with the whites. Who would you recommend on getting for a day of fishing?
Just go late some afternoon and watch Bink's boat leave out of Quarry Boat dock and follow him, watch him real close and be sure and don't speak to him and carry your pistol........:biggrin::fit::fit:

· Registered
2,458 Posts
http://www.fishingwithsteve.com/

I dont have a lake boat. and dont spend any time on the lake. there for I have used three different guides on Norfork. I dont like Bink, personally or professionally. He demanded we keep every fish we caught that was legal sized. and all he wanted to do was spoon the fish, with his special binks Spoon. I caught a nice fat walleye about 7 pound's and wanted to turn it loose and he said "Oh well then I will keep it my wife loves Walleye."

I think it was in Feb of this year someone on one of Binks trips caught a 12 pound walleye and I got four emails, different people same fish!!!

I used a fellow, young fellow named Roy, Roy is just a good ole boy, who knows the lake and the way to fish it. But I have lost his contact info, he moved down from Michigan some years back.

I have used Steve Several times, he is very truthful, he will tell you if the fish are not working, where the fish are working. Great guy, will work hard for you!!! Matter of fact I may go out with Steve in the next few weeks..
Steve's Guide Service
[email protected]
Phone: 870-491-5142 • Cell: 870-421-5142

· Registered
9,593 Posts
http://www.fishingwithsteve.com/

I used a fellow, young fellow named Roy, Roy is just a good ole boy, who knows the lake and the way to fish it. But I have lost his contact info, he moved down from Michigan some years back.
Was it Roy Prouty? We both had elk permits up in Zone 2 back in '06. He stayed the night with us one night at our cabin we rented, great guy. He killed a big ol cow elk the next morning. I killed nothing but time. If I remember correctly he told me he was a guide on Norfork.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah fisherman505, I didn't get the feeling that Bink was real honest. Just one example, early in the fishing trip we asked him if Alabama rigs do well. He said yes he had caught a lot of fish on them. A couple hours later my boy asked him if he had used Alabama rigs on Norfork. Bink replied that he'd never used them.

· Registered
1,143 Posts
Breckenridges are good people for a guide service. Both the old man and his son. They've been here for years and know the lake very well. It sure sounds like ol Binks is his own worst enemy. That's really too bad because he does know how to catch stripers and walleye on Norfork. I guess another negative for someone that isn't familiar with stripers is that Binks only uses lures and does not like bait. Going after stripers with jigs or stick baits can be trying, especially if your are jigging for stripers in 50-100 feet of water. It is not something a novice would want to try or be very successful at. The best way for novices to catch stripers is for the guide to get them over the fish and then drag live shad on flat lines or balloons behind the boat. Then all you have to do is drag the fish in once it eats the shad. This is also the best way to get into the really big stripers.

Binks is always trying to push those Bink's Spoons of his which are very good spoons but cost a fortune. Seems like no matter what you catch the fish on, you can count on a Bink's spoon being stuck in it's mouth when it comes to picture-taking time. And like someone else said, I do believe I've seen the same fish more than once in the local paper with a different fisherman behind it. But maybe all those stripers look alike.

Cheers.....

· Registered
22,580 Posts
I sent Steve an email. He called me. He said the striper bite isnt to good right now. Said they should be hitting top water until the end of May when they start going deep because of the warmer weather. He is 200 for a half day and 300 for a full day. Says he fishes 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours at night for a full day of fishing for two people. the Third person would be 50 bucks.

· Registered
2,458 Posts
Pouty is it!!!!. I called Steve too, he said his price is reduced 50 bucks because the bite is poor. I called another one and they said the same thing. then called Binks and oh my the fishing is hotter than ever and everyone is catching a limit and big fish at that... I LOL and thought "Money Maker" wants to take you for a boat ride.

· Registered
10,378 Posts
Pouty is it!!!!. I called Steve too, he said his price is reduced 50 bucks because the bite is poor. I called another one and they said the same thing. then called Binks and oh my the fishing is hotter than ever and everyone is catching a limit and big fish at that... I LOL and thought "Money Maker" wants to take you for a boat ride.
I had a friend who was a really good guide for 30 years on a big lake. I ask him one day, what does it take to be guide for that long........he said without hesitation, you have to be a good liar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.