Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about this seeds they have on the shelves everywhere that you supposedly dont have to do anything for. Says you just throw it out there.?:confused:

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
If it is like secret spot or no-plow you are still supposed to rake back the leaves and expose some dirt before using. I used it on top of a ridge on our place one year in a little opening and it grew pretty well. I took the weedeater and rake and cleared a few lanes and spots to plant before I threw the seed out though...

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
If you have grass/weeds growing in a spot...weedeat it down close and sow it...it'll come up...even without rain, from the moisture from the heavy morning dew!!

Two good ones are....

Evolved Habitats Throw-n-grow.

Imperial Whitetail No-till clover

·
Registered
45 Posts
Most the no-plow commercial mixes are 80% rye grass and 20% various other types of seeds. Rye grass will grow in poor soil and dry conditions

A cheaper method is simply to buy the rye grass seed and mix with a dwarf rape seed. Always cheaper if you don't pay for the bag with a monster buck on it.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Buck I like the picture of the monster buck.........NOT. I like a little green left in my pocket.

I've heard the throw-n-grows work real well and may try some in a couple of spots I can't get equipment to this year.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
As the old saying goes, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." There is no such thing as magic seed. It takes 2 things to get seeds to germinate: soil contact and moisture. Yes, some of these "throw and grow" seeds will germinate if just thrown on the ground. However, your germination rate will be low. This means most of your money is wasted. If you read the fine print on the packages, you will see that almost all companies will tell you that for better germination you need to prepare a good seed bed.

To further burst your bubble, just because you get germination doesn't mean you will get useful forage. For a plant to provide useful forage, it needs moisture, sun light and nutrients. Without all three of these, the plant will die or at the very least be undesirable as deer forage. In other words, they won't eat it.

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winne
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I have a hard time beleiving that you could get a good stand out of the seed. Gonna give a bag of it a whurl just for the heck of it, but still gonna keep on with the winter wheat and rye grass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.