No hunting tomorrow, broke truck..any mechanics on here?

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by nemhsiri, Dec 25, 2010.

1. nemhsiri

nemhsiri Well-Known Member

Hey all, I know this might not be the right place to ask, but here goes. I have a 1990 Chevy with a 350TBI. A few days ago I went to start my truck and it wouldn't even try to turn over. The starter is turning the motor, but it just won't catch. I have replaced the ignition module, the ignition coil, the distributor cap, and the rotor bug. The injectors are shooting plenty of fuel, but I just can't get it to turn over. If the distributor pick-up coil was bad would I get fire at the plugs? I have done everything I can think of to no avail. I thought if you had fuel in the throttle body, and fire to the plugs it should do something.:down: I just don't know what else to do, any help would be greatly appreciated. And good luck to everyone going out tomorrow:biggrin:

2. papagg2

papagg2 Well-Known Member

Is the motor turning over or just the starter, if it's just the starter then the starter may be loose , if the motor is turning over but it wont try to start, then it sounds like the timing belt may be broke or slipped.

3. nemhsiri

The motor is turning over, and a mechanic that looked at it the other night told me it was still in time. He checked that by pulling the #1 plug and getting the compression in the right spot, then he looked at the rotor bug to make sure it was in the right direction. He said it was and that meant it was in time. I was wondering though, if the pickup coil in the distriburtor was bad, would you still get a spark at the plug? The pickup coil tells the ignition module to fire right?, so if it was broke you may still get fire but not at the right time or something?

4. bow4me

bow4me Well-Known Member

Is it spinning real fast and not hittin at all? And are you sure its getting enough gas? I'd pour a little down in it just to eliminate that for sure.

5. papagg2

I have a 1989 Jeep that did that, it would spin the motor till it ran the Battery down, but wouldn't start. I had to have a new crank sensor put on it, but it could very well be the pickup coil, I don't think it would send fire to the plugs if the pickup coil is bad.

6. jwalker

jwalker Well-Known Member

I know the feeling my turbo went out two days ago won't get the new 1,200$ one till Thursday !!!it sucks

7. papagg2

Bummer.

8. nemhsiri

sorry to hear that j, I got a mechanic coming to look at it tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

9. bayoubuckhunter

bayoubuckhunter Well-Known Member

definately sounds like the pick-upm coil in bottom of distributor......wanna bet?????

10. Remman

Remman Well-Known Member

Check and see if it is getting fire to the plugs. If not it could be the pick up coil in the bottom of the distributor. I have had the relay on the fire wall (passenger side) go out and cause a similar problem.

11. nemhsiri

remman, so if I have fire to the plugs the pick up coil can't be bad? I did have fire to the plugs, but I thought if the pick up wasn't working correctly I may not be getting enough fire to get the ignition module to work properly.

12. Gford

Gford Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne

That model gm was notorious for having a crack in the distributor housing...not the cap but the housing! I had a 1990 that did it...and fixed a 91 last month with the same problem...

13. bowhunter3

bowhunter3 Well-Known Member

make sure your fuel pump is turning on?????? sounds like a problem i had on my 1996 chevy. it would keep turning over and i replaced everything you did and it ended up haveing low fuel pressure.

14. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

My 97 did somthing like this I thought the pump went out replaced still no luck decided to check fuses one more time under hood bingo blown fuse missed first 3 times.

15. papagg2

Let us know what the problem was when you find out, It's got me wondering.

16. nemhsiri

will do papa, I know it is getting fuel and there are no blown fuses... that's why I was so baffeled. I am headed to orielly now to have them test the backup distributor I have... if it is good I am gonna replace that. Thanks for all the help guys, I hope one of you scores on a deer this morning:thumb:

17. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I used to have a chevy....it would occasionally fire through the rotor to the dist. shaft. Acted just like a kill switch....still had fire at the plugs but wouldn't crank. I took one[when I broke down away from home] and filled part of the underside with JB quick so it couldn't fire through....got me home! You might try a new rotor.

18. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Oops.....I see you replaced that.....one other time I was in New Mexico, and gassed up at a certain station that had a lower price per gallon........turned out to be mostly ethanol and water. Had to siphon it out and run super premium for the next few tanks.

19. Carr.45

Carr.45 Well-Known Member

On the GM TBI motors if the pick up coil is bad you wont get fuel or fire, atleast that is how my '95 was, I got a heck of a deal on it cause the guy paid a mechanic 1200 to fix it but the guy couldnt find the problem, I fixed it in 30min including the time it took me to got to auto zone. You can test it if you have a ohmmeter and a shop manual that will give you the resistance it is supposed to have. Pick up coils are only $11 buck at autozone and are very easy to change out too. You might want to chaeck and make sure all your plug wires are in the right spot, you could be getting to much fuel too, those injectors can stick open sometimes, had that problem too.

Another common problem especially on cheaper dist caps is the little tit that sticks down and rides on the rotor button is fragile and might be broken or completely missing, pull the cap and look up inside there. It has a spring that keeps it pushed down but if it is not touching you wont get any spark.

good luck

20. Bowcrazy

Bowcrazy Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne

Go back to ignition mudule. Look close at plug where wires plug into it. Clean them real good. I just had same problem with my 88 blazer. These modules are expensive and most times test bad no matter what. At least they have for me. Also make sure you have the high temp grease under the module.