Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since modern gun season is open I packed up and went for a 3 day trip to one of Arkansas’s many fine public bow only hunting areas. With almost everyone else out gun hunting I basically had this 14000 acre area to myself. As far as I know I was the only hunter because in 3 days I never saw another soul.

I soon arrived and quickly set up camp.

Pat McManus, if you are reading this please ignore my made camp statement. I know you don’t believe pulling up to a spot and setting the handbrake as “making camp”. To appease you a little I did take the camper off of the truck. I also had to back in at an odd angle so I could get this view from my “front porch”.

I went to the same spot where I got a nice doe about 2 weeks ago with my recurve. I had also seen an impressive 8 point from that stand and my hopes were to get a shot at him on this trip.

As I picked the perfect tree I took my climbing stand off of my shoulders and laid it on the ground. Less than 20 seconds later I heard deer running in the woods but surprisingly towards me instead of away from me. Three does ran like crazy to within 20 yards of me and stopped. I was thinking a buck was chasing them as I slowly got my hands on my bow and tried to become a part of the tree I had intended to climb. I just knew a buck was chasing those does because of the way they were running so fast but alas there was no buck. The 3 does were obviously in a race to see which one could get to the acorn buffet first. After a few minutes I was ready for the does to leave but they had other plans. I had to stand up and wave my arms to get them to leave the area so I could get my climber up into my tree.

Once in place I had a spike come within 10 yards but with our 3 point on 1 side rule I had to let him walk. I also had 2 more does come in range but with only 1 tag left I was waiting on a nice buck. Unfortunately, these deer would be the only ones I would see on the trip. The next two days it was unseasonably warm and the wind swirled constantly. Still all in all I had a good time and enjoyed my little trip. Bow season doesn’t end until mid February so I still have plenty of time. If anyone would like to hunt public land with me you are welcome to go.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Since modern gun season is open I packed up and went for a 3 day trip to one of Arkansas’s many fine public bow only hunting areas. With almost everyone else out gun hunting I basically had this 14000 acre area to myself. As far as I know I was the only hunter because in 3 days I never saw another soul.

I soon arrived and quickly set up camp.

Pat McManus, if you are reading this please ignore my made camp statement. I know you don’t believe pulling up to a spot and setting the handbrake as “making camp”. To appease you a little I did take the camper off of the truck. I also had to back in at an odd angle so I could get this view from my “front porch”.

I went to the same spot where I got a nice doe about 2 weeks ago with my recurve. I had also seen an impressive 8 point from that stand and my hopes were to get a shot at him on this trip.

As I picked the perfect tree I took my climbing stand off of my shoulders and laid it on the ground. Less than 20 seconds later I heard deer running in the woods but surprisingly towards me instead of away from me. Three does ran like crazy to within 20 yards of me and stopped. I was thinking a buck was chasing them as I slowly got my hands on my bow and tried to become a part of the tree I had intended to climb. I just knew a buck was chasing those does because of the way they were running so fast but alas there was no buck. The 3 does were obviously in a race to see which one could get to the acorn buffet first. After a few minutes I was ready for the does to leave but they had other plans. I had to stand up and wave my arms to get them to leave the area so I could get my climber up into my tree.

Once in place I had a spike come within 10 yards but with our 3 point on 1 side rule I had to let him walk. I also had 2 more does come in range but with only 1 tag left I was waiting on a nice buck. Unfortunately, these deer would be the only ones I would see on the trip. The next two days it was unseasonably warm and the wind swirled constantly. Still all in all I had a good time and enjoyed my little trip. Bow season doesn’t end until mid February so I still have plenty of time. If anyone would like to hunt public land with me you are welcome to go.
GREAT POST! It's refreshing to know there are people that are happy even if they didn't get a shot off. Just getting away and enjoying what Mother Nature has to offer is what it is all about. :up:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.