Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my camera up for two months now. Just over 500 pictures at different food plots and salt licks on over 400+ acres. At this point I have only captured less then 7 bucks 4 of which were spike. At the same time herds and herds of does. Only 2 different fawns. What does this tell me? Exactly what we have been saying for years in our part of zone 3. We have no bucks the numbers are way out of wack. These does have not been bred. AGFC better get it together or they will have some issues soon. Am I the only one seeing this? Our land is very close to the village and we have deer just NO HORNS. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Well,from my observations on my hunting lease:......Some places thats all you will see is Does.Bucks will be in other areas.I've been other places that there is no Does,Just bucks.
It's hard to say,Don't get discouraged over pictures, I bet the bucks are there...............Hiding.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope so. Last year I had atleast 15-20 legal ones on film. This year they are just gone. No visuals or on film. Only 2 fawns really worries me to. I know several people next to us and they have not seen any fawns as well, compared to previous years seeing them everywhere. Just dont think they bred last year. Wonder if it has anything to do with NO mast crop last year?

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Back probably 20 yrs.ago way before leasing started here and you could'nt control people poaching as easily, our deer on our lease were slaughtered every year[some of the people I knew] And i'm talking about guys killing 10 or 12 a year easy.you would think that would make a big difference but it did'nt [in #'s anyway]

Anyway I was off the subject for a minute, We were worried about all the poaching hurting our hunting.But it did'nt hurt it at all.The bucks were there next season as we had hoped

Just because you don't see them does'nt mean they are not there.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
I have had my camera up for two months now. Just over 500 pictures at different food plots and salt licks on over 400+ acres. At this point I have only captured less then 7 bucks 4 of which were spike. At the same time herds and herds of does. Only 2 different fawns. What does this tell me? :banghead:

That your camera is in the wrong spot

·
Super Moderator
10,867 Posts
Sounds 2 me you have found a good doe spot. I have some spots back here that is like u said no bucks at all jus a bunch of does and some fawns but i can move the camera bout 200 yards east of there and get quite a few bucks and no does or fawns

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
I wouldn't get too worried. The bucks are grouped together in bachelor groups and seem to not mix with the does and fawns for the most part this time of year. I've had similar results as you.
BINGO!
Plus, if you had 15-20 bucks on film from 400 acres last year, you just got spoiled. The TOTAL deer density in a lot of places isnt a whole lot more than that.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I am also having the same issue, all does, no bucks. Also had the same thing last year. I never really got any buck pictures on a regular basis till late September / early October. Most of my buck pictures where during December and January.

·
Super Moderator
13,953 Posts
We find the same thing on our place. On my camera, I get mostly buck pics. On HalfCredit's camera, which is just 3-400 yards or so from me, he gets mostly does. Just remember that if the does are there, when the right time comes, the bucks will be there too!

·
Registered
11,271 Posts
Welcome to Zone 3. The ratio is way out of balance. Where you see bucks now is not where you see them during season though. They will chase the does that you are feeding eventually usually the week between Muzzleloading and Modern Gun seasons.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
I have hunted this land for 12 years I have a pretty good idea where to put the camera.
Not saying you don't, but like others have said right now the bucks are in their bachelor groups and if your not in the right spot (or not offering what they prefer to eat) your not going to get any pics of them. There are a lot of factors that can cause the bucks to shift to new locations this time of year when food is plentiful. Until it cools down they will not travel very far!!! Just tring to keep ya from being the guy that says ya don't have any bucks later to find out someone kills a monster near your property that you didn't think was there. It never hurts to think outside the boundries.

·
Registered
347 Posts
bucks/does

Im probably 20 miles sw of the village and this year Im seeing more bucks of all ages than I have seen in 5 or more years. However, I know that doesnt necesscarily translate into a good buck season come fall. I have often seen the opposite case where all you see are does now and come fall the bucks come out of nowhere to trail the does across the fields like beagles after rabbits. It seems that often the bucks you end up killing never show up on camera prior to fall. I know they say they can have a small range but I think during rut they can cruise pretty far from their normal haunts over multiple properties.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Im probably 20 miles sw of the village and this year Im seeing more bucks of all ages than I have seen in 5 or more years. However, I know that doesnt necesscarily translate into a good buck season come fall. I have often seen the opposite case where all you see are does now and come fall the bucks come out of nowhere to trail the does across the fields like beagles after rabbits. It seems that often the bucks you end up killing never show up on camera prior to fall. I know they say they can have a small range but I think during rut they can cruise pretty far from their normal haunts over multiple properties.
Right on there Redoak, Hang on till deer season Nontypical those bucks know where the does are and they will be after them :up:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Don't let the cameras fool you. I think cameras are a good scouting tool when used correctly but I also think they have ruined alot of hunters. It causes many hunters to believe that the only deer on their properties are the ones they see on the cameras. The more cameras you have out the more you have to keep going into their "home" to switch cards or replace batteries. I have used them for the past several years but have decided to not worry about them this season. I'm going in completely open minded and using what I learned from post season scouting last winter to guide me through this season along with some common sense.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.