Arkansas Hunting banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
My wife has a 2015 Rouge with about 70,000 miles on it, she loves it and we've never had a single problem with it. My daughter bought a 2016 or 17 Rouge, because she liked ours. She puts a lot more miles on a rig than we do and just traded it in with 100,000 miles on it, also with no problems. She bought a new Nissan Pathfinder to replace it for some extra room. My daughter also had 2 Nissan Altimas before she got the Rouge and had good luck with those, too. I know they aren't trucks, but they are Nissans and we've had very good experiences with them
I picked up an Altima a couple of years ago to drive back and forth to work and will not own another Nissan of any kind once this one is gone.
Transmission went out at 79k and had to replace a hub assembly as well.
200k on my Tacoma with lots of gravel roads, mud and water and never had to touch a wheel bearing.

·
Super Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
2,774 Posts
Transmission went out at 79k and had to replace a hub assembly as well.
200k on my Tacoma with lots of gravel roads, mud and water and never had to touch a wheel bearing.
I've had to replace two front wheel bearings in my '07 on the same hub: One at 90K and another at 180k-ish. They damaged the cover when the first one was replaced and I believe that's why it needed replaced again. I have over 200K miles on the Taco and is just on its second set of brakes.

The 4 door tacoma has more interior and bed room than the frontier. It's wide and long enough to fit a 03 Honda foreman in with the tailgate down. There is also more head room and seats adjust better. The electronics are also better in the Taco. Mid size trucks are great for running around on quick camps, hunts, mud/snow if set up right, but the more you start using it the more you realize you don't have the room for all the things you want to bring/haul.

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
I've had to replace two front wheel bearings in my '07 on the same hub: One at 90K and another at 180k-ish. They damaged the cover when the first one was replaced and I believe that's why it needed replaced again. I have over 200K miles on the Taco and is just on its second set of brakes.

The 4 door tacoma has more interior and bed room than the frontier. It's wide and long enough to fit a 03 Honda foreman in with the tailgate down. There is also more head room and seats adjust better. The electronics are also better in the Taco. Mid size trucks are great for running around on quick camps, hunts, mud/snow if set up right, but the more you start using it the more you realize you don't have the room for all the things you want to bring/haul.
The more room you have, the more stuff you try and bring along.
Pretty sure I could fill up a Suburban with only the front two seats and an inclosed trailer behind it if I had that for a hunting rig.

·
Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
5,334 Posts
I have an 06 Frontier SE 4x4. I got it the 2nd year the 2nd gen was out and it's had its problems. I'm at 145k right now. They've worked the kinks out since about 2010. Only thing pretty common that you need to replace right away is the rear diff breather, its prone to clogging and blowing seals.

I pretty much use mine for trail riding, fishing, camping etc. and its done well. Aside from the problems being a new design, I love the truck.

They have a new body design coming out soon, and have already replaced the older 4l engine.

·
5,334 Posts
Can also swap out the v8 from the titan as well as the front end (diff, axles, control arms, etc) for more travel.

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

Tacoma ain't gonna happen. It'll be the frontier or a 1/2 ton crew cab. Price is too high for what I'm wanting.

As far as storage, my last truck was a 3/4 ton crew cab with an 8' bed and I still couldn't bring everything.

I appreciate that the Toyota is top of the line but the seats absolutely kill me. I tried out the frontier the other day and those seats were much more comfortable -- to me. A few minutes in a Tacoma gives me leg cramps.

·
Premium Member
14,292 Posts
As a current Nissan owner, I agree everyone is right they are pretty plain Jane and not sexy. But the 2 I own have not had any problems and I would have no qualms buying a Frontier.
My 07’ Japanese Dodge( Titan CC) is at 96,000 and no issue’s. Drinks gas like a Dodge, pulls like a Dodge, will pass everything on the road except a gas station like a Dodge...ergo it’s name.

·
5,334 Posts
Also something to consider. If buying new, how important is a locker to you, because that is the biggest difference between the standard 4x4 and the pro4x is a rear locker. The pro comes with skid plates but they are junk (radiator skid is the same for all models and is good). It also comes with Bilstein 4600 but if you do any kind of lift you'll likely upgrade to at least the 5100s. I'd look at the SV if a locker and some of the other trim options are not that important, the money saved will pay for a winch and other accessories that will likely be more useful than that locker.

They say the m226 rear axle in the pro4x is better then the c200 in the open diff 4x4s (spider gears seem weaker in the 200) but I've never had issues and I've done my fair share of abuse. Not sure what guys are doing to explode those gears.

If looking for used, A guy I work with traded this one in and bought a 2020. He babies them, this thing is mint, Probably never been in 4x4 and has never been off the pavement. I'll get with him and see if he'll let me know what they gave him for it.

Capture.PNG

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Also something to consider. If buying new, how important is a locker to you, because that is the biggest difference between the standard 4x4 and the pro4x is a rear locker. The pro comes with skid plates but they are junk (radiator skid is the same for all models and is good). It also comes with Bilstein 4600 but if you do any kind of lift you'll likely upgrade to at least the 5100s. I'd look at the SV if a locker and some of the other trim options are not that important, the money saved will pay for a winch and other accessories that will likely be more useful than that locker.

They say the m226 rear axle in the pro4x is better then the c200 in the open diff 4x4s (spider gears seem weaker in the 200) but I've never had issues and I've done my fair share of abuse. Not sure what guys are doing to explode those gears.

If looking for used, A guy I work with traded this one in and bought a 2020. He babies them, this thing is mint, Probably never been in 4x4 and has never been off the pavement. I'll get with him and see if he'll let me know what they gave him for it.

View attachment 284978
I actually put a down payment on a very similar one yesterday. Supposed to go get it tomorrow.

Reactions: sricen

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Went ahead and got the pro 4 package. Drove around Tulsa and then back to NWA and it suited me fine on the highway. Highway noise is a little loud and the 5 speed transmission could definitely use another gear, but I'm happy with it so far.
20201024_104306.jpeg

·
5,334 Posts
Replace the rear diff breather. Couple of places sell a kit, I just pieced mine together off of Amazon.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts