Night hunting hogs

Discussion in 'Predators, Varmints, and Hogs' started by bullet-slinger, Dec 31, 2010.

1. bullet-slinger

bullet-slinger Well-Known Member

Is it legal to hunt hogs over bait at night with a spot light on private land in Arkansas?

Thanks,

Ken

2. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

Best I can tell from the guidebook it is legal to hunt hogs at night on private land. Didnt see anything about using a spotlight but dont see any other way besides night vision. Sure as I went shining for hogs with a rifle in the truck I would get a ticket for hunting deer and have to go to court and fight it.

3. arc3162

arc3162 Well-Known Member

yeah, i would be real careful about where I was and how I set up to hunt them, those spot lighting deer tickets are hard to beat in court.

4. bullet-slinger

I looked in the guide and really couldn't find anything one way or the other about it.

I would probably use sour corn for bait. I don't believe there will be a problem with deer being drawn to sour corn.

Anyone here have any experiences with hog specific bait that would work better?

The set-up will be on private land.

Thanks,

Ken

5. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

Well I havent ever tried it and cant believe I am suggesting it but I have heard corn soaked in diesel will attract hogs and nothing else.

6. MollyWhop

MollyWhop Well-Known Member

Soak it in diesel...

7. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

We were typing at the same time!:biggrin:

8. bullet-slinger

Believe it or not I've read about diesel too. It just sounds nutts though, doesn't it?

9. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

Diesel does work and deer will not eat it. Also u can take a 2x6 wrap it in burlap saturate it with burnt motor oil. Then nail it between 2 trees about knee high. Hogs will come to rub board. If ur gonna still hunt at night with a light u might want to call local wo to let him know. This will keep him from having to come see bout u at 3am when somebody calls.

10. trout1

trout1 Well-Known Member

Corn with strawberry Jello

A friend of mine works for the US Forest Service in predator control. He uses corn and pours strawberry jello, liquid form, over it. The deer won't eat it and he says it's like crack to the hogs.

11. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    I call the WO the day we are gonna be lighting them up, they will appreciate this and will save the questioning if someone calls in. I use plain corn, it works as good plain as any other way, and if there are enough hogs to hunt, there wont be much time for any deer to hit it anyway.

12. Bowhunt Only

Bowhunt Only Forum Sponsor<br>Mossy Oak Properties

I do this all the time, just find out who your game warden is and tell him when and where you will be doing it and you will not have a problem.

13. Deisel n corm works like a charm..... also we pour a lil used motor oil on the ground around it on the ground (dont tell the epa) an they love to waller in it. We dont shoot'm we just sneek up wid r dogs amd let'm go that way they bay quick an we ant out all night chasing them:up:

14. Passthrough

Passthrough Account Suspended

I have hunted hogs at night with a spotlight for several years. As someone mentioned above, your best bet is to call the game warden for your zone and let him/her know what you are doing. This will keep them from having to climb out of bed in the middle of the night to handle complaint calls.

Corn with jello mix seems to work the best for us!