Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to Warren this weekend to hunt hogs. I'm getting conflicting
stories on whether on not it's legal to hunt them at night with
lights. Any one know the real deal. I sure would hate to get a ticket
for night hunting trying to kill a hog!

· Member<br>2009 Predator Contest Winner
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
guess I'm confused.... before the hog hunting got popular, all you had to do was to have a gun and spotlight in your posession and your were charged with poaching.
What's changed?

· Registered
6,352 Posts
MIKE FREEZE

AGFC Chairman

I think that Colonel Day has explained AGFC's viewpoint on hogs very well. If you are out spot lighting deer at night (even on your own property) and your excuse is that you are hog hunting then you are going to get to try and convince a judge of your intent. Contact your local WO in advance and avoid a lot of potential headaches. We hate hogs as much as you do, because they are extremely destructive animals that negatively impact our native wildlife.

· Banned
518 Posts
The idiots put conflicting bylaws in their book for reasons. You can read on one page where something is legal and on 30 pages later find it illegal. DID YOU KNOW YOU ARE BY AG&F BYLAWS SUPPOSE TO HAVE A FISHING LICENSE TO FISH YOU OWN PERSONAL POND... just call the main office if you don't believe me... They'll tell you you wouldn't get a ticket, but ask them if it's against their bylaws.

· Registered
6,352 Posts
Commissioner Freeze forwarded your email to me concerning night hunting feral hogs on private lands. Attached are the present Arkansas Statutes and AG&FC Regulations that pertain to feral hogs. I believe it would be in your best interest to review those attachments.

You have asked about shooting feral hogs at night in Arkansas on private property. Commission Regulation 18.02 - NIGHT HUNTING PROHIBITED strictly concerns the illegal taking of wildlife at night. The Commission does not recognize feral hogs as wildlife, except when they are on our WMAs and/or WDAs. You have also mentioned that depredation permits (Commission
Regulation 18.09 - DEPREDATION PERMIT REQUIREMENT) are given to landowners for nuisance wildlife, but again it does not state that such be required for hunting feral hogs on private property.

As a wildlife officer in the field for many years I have dealt with a variety of situations concerning feral hogs. Most important to this whole scenario is that the local county wildlife officers be notified by the private landowner that he/she is having problems with feral hogs and are wanting to take measures to shoot them at night. Landowners with feral hogs rooting up their pastures, fields, or crop lands have real problems and need to eliminate that problem asap. But note it is the landowner's problem.
Unless the landowner or a stated designee was involved in shooting the feral hogs on his/her private property at night, everybody else caught on that private property could be considered as night-hunting and under the right circumstances trespassing. All the elements necessary to sustain a night hunting charge actually exists when shooting at night with or without the aid of a light in areas where wildlife can frequent.

How do you legally take feral hogs off another man's private property at night? First of all the private landowner needs to make the local wildlife officer(s) aware that he/she has the problem. If the County's wildlife officers are aware of the damage (usually by visual observation), they are now aware that any shooting at night in that field or pasture may be related to the feral hog problem. The private landowner states who will be shooting the feral hogs. I can assure you it is not just whomever wants to drop by and take advantage of the opportunity. The officers know who can legitimately be on the private property shooting the feral hogs at night.
This also benefits the landowner in that should an accidental shooting occur resulting in property damage or physical injury while hunting feral hogs, the personal liability for such actions can be more quickly determined.

By knowing who can shoot the feral hogs in the field or pasture the wildlife officers can more effectively deal with true night hunting complaints. This does not in anyway keep the landowner from resolving the problem. Rather it is a courtesy extended to the wildlife officers allowing them to understand the nature and location of the shooting at night. I can assure you that prosecutors and judges are more understanding when said business concerning taking feral hogs by shooting at night is understood on the front end of the matter rather than standing in front of the blue lights trying to explain the situation.

Colonel John E. Day
Enforcement Chief
Arkansas Game & Fish Commission
(501) 223-6382

· Banned
518 Posts
No, Mr. Day, it's not prosecutors and judges that are understanding, it the juries of rural Arkansas counties that 90% of your tickets get thrown out of. You know your regs are conflicting from page to page. Respectfully, quit trying to fool most of us.. You may fool the gentleman from Maumelle that has a big lease with several joining a club, or the fella from Little Rock who works downtown. However, your outfit doesn't fool a huge majority in North Central Arkansas.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
Ok, whatever.. .You show me a game warden you can trust and I'll deed 8 miles of prime White River bottum farm to 'em at Calico Rock. Keep them out of your business and you'll be better off.
get your pen out smarty pants. I've got two I'd trust with my life. You may not trust them but your offer says show you a GW I can trust. :smack: In reality one of em you could actually trust too. The other would probably listen to you run your mouth for a few seconds and then pepper spray you.

· Banned
518 Posts
Ohhh, and I forgot the guy that sends his family to Harding. Pepper spray..??? what??? I have the right to my own opinion. The more you so amazingly verse yours the more you show your intelligence about the issue. Do you want to start a thread about the "wardens" and just see what people will say? Well, actually that might not work b/c most would be scared to voice their opinion about them due to harassment. I, however, am not scared. You convincing mainstream Arkansas hunters that the AG&F is not poison is about as likely as the gnat's intentions of raping the elephant as he climbed up his leg.

· Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
I have been hog hunting in Bradly county and Drew county for many years at night with dogs. I have never once been checked while hog hunting. Then again everyone is aware we don't carry guns while hog hunting either, we always just catch them and transport them.

Point is if you are actually hunting legit at night you will not have a problem. Legit meaning with dogs and fourwheelers! Now if your riding around in the truck shining a spotlight you can expect a ticket.

P.S if ya'll are hunting near felsenthal, it is illegal to hunt with dogs or at night

· Registered
5,700 Posts
Oh, yeah, the difference is I've also got the 8 miles and you in all reality don't have two you can trust. Look me up, you, however, can't be.
get your deed and get your pen cause I've got two real good friends who are WL officers. You sure run your mouth alot and talk a big game well back it up bud. Email me a topo of the new property you're giving to me. :celebrate:

· Registered
5,700 Posts
Ohhh, and I forgot the guy that sends his family to Harding. Pepper spray..??? what??? I have the right to my own opinion. The more you so amazingly verse yours the more you show your intelligence about the issue. Do you want to start a thread about the "wardens" and just see what people will say? Well, actually that might not work b/c most would be scared to voice their opinion about them due to harassment. I, however, am not scared. You convincing mainstream Arkansas hunters that the AG&F is not poison is about as likely as the gnat's intentions of raping the elephant as he climbed up his leg.
you might want to browse through the other threads on the board and find the one pertaining to WL officers. You may be surprised.

· Registered
3,408 Posts
get your deed and get your pen cause I've got two real good friends who are WL officers. You sure run your mouth alot and talk a big game well back it up bud. Email me a topo of the new property you're giving to me. :celebrate:

Hey odocoi,

Let me know when you start leasing out that new land you're gonna get. Sounds like you're gonna be in it pretty cheap. 8 miles is a bunch of land to manage. I want to be at the top of the list!!!

:thumb:

· Registered
5,413 Posts
You sound pretty angry about something. You got something to hide or be ashamed of? Have you gotten a ticket recently? If you aren't poaching and you're following the rules, why would you need to try and avoid the WOs? I've run into some really good folks at the AGFC, and I've disappointed a couple of WOs that couldn't find anything I was doing wrong (and they weren't happy about it). There are bad apples in every bunch, so just treat them with a proper level of respect and don't act like you're hiding anything.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.