Night Hunting Coons Violation??

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by jublain, Jan 3, 2011.

1. jublain

jublain Well-Known Member

My buddy got a ticket last night for night hunting coons. He had his dog and claims the coons were all tree'd. Bad thing was he had my gun. Whats the chances I'll get my gun back??

2. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    Why would he have gotten a ticket if he had his dogs and everything else was legal? No reason for the GW to take the gun unless it was a serious violation.

3. jwalker

jwalker Well-Known Member

What?? He got what?? Where???

4. arc3162

arc3162 Well-Known Member

I coon hunt most every night and I always have a 22 with me. Not just for shooting out coons but once in a while a bobcat gets treed and I don't want my dogs tore up by a cat.

If he was harvesting coons with dogs at night then he was legal.

Species: Raccoon
    Zones: Statewide
    Opens: 11/13/2010 Sunrise
    Closes: 3/31/2011 Sunset
    Limits:
    No bag limit.
    More:
    Day or night hunting allowed. Dogs required to hunt at night.

Maybe he didn't have his dog with him and was out moonlighting coons. :shrug:

5. jublain

Well apparently he had his girlfriend with em and she didnt really understand what they ment by tree'd. They questioned her first then wrote the tickets.

6. jublain

Cache River Refuge. They said they were lookin for illegal duck hunting...at night.

7. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    The whole story sound like BS, are you sure you're getting it straight from your bud? Maybe he needed some cash and sold you gun. What difference does the coon being treed make?

8. jwalker

jwalker Well-Known Member

I'd go to court over that!!

9. jublain

Tell me this...What qualifies as a tree'd coon, one you spot then put the dogs on, or do the dogs have to find it theirselves?

10. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

:popcorn:

I think there is a little more to this stroy thanyour buddy is telling you. I have been coonhunting for 17 years. I have never even seen a Game warden while coon hunting.
    If he was legally coon hunting then you should be able to take it to court and get your gun back. Know if he was doing something on the illegal side say spotlighting DEER and trying to say he was coonhunting then you will never see it again more than likely.

11. jublain

No this guy has money. I just gave him the dog that day so I know he had her with him.

12. jublain

Come to Prairie County and hunt public ground during duck season. You'll see enough for the next 17 years.

13. englishdawgs

THE DOGS HAVE TO FIND IT THEIRSELVES PERIOD. IF HE SPOTLIGHTED IT FIRST THEN THAT IS JUST WHAT HE WAS DOING SPOTLIGHTING. and thats ILLEGAL

14. jublain

Thats the plan. I just want my pump .22 back.

15. jublain

Well that may throw a wrench in the whole thing. They gave him a receipt for the gun and said he'd get it back after court. I hope thats the case.

16. arc3162

arc3162 Well-Known Member

I would be giving my "buddy" one of these anyway :twak:

There shouldn't have been a reason to take his gun unless he was doing one of the following:

spotlighting coons or other animals.

Hunting without a license.

shooting game other then coons that was treed by a dog.

I am with english on this one. I have never had any trouble out of the WO's here in my part of the state. I see them once in a while driving down the dirt roads before I put the dogs out. They will stop and talk, ask what I am doing and be on their way.:shrug:

17. englishdawgs

I hope you get your gun back. There is no need for you to loose it because of a your buddy doing something on the illegal side. Personally I see where people are going to say he had a dog and there nothing that says it has to tree the coon. I have always just thought it was a give me that the dog had to tree it at night before you could kill it. Besides that is what it is about the dog treeing a coon to most coon hunters. If I wanted to just shoot coons I would hunt them during the day why go out in the dark and freeze just to shoot a coon for the hell of it.

18. jublain

Actually it does say in the manual they have to tree the coon. They just dont define "tree". I coon hunted for the first time the other night. We just sat in the dark and waited for the dogs to bark then went in after em. Had a good time and killed 9 big ole coons.

19. englishdawgs

Thats interesting I never read where they said they had to tree.
    But like I said to me a dog must tree the coon or I want even think about shooting it out. When I say tree I mean it must first strike the trail and take it all the way to the tree by themselves and stay treed till I get there weither it be 2 minutes or 6 hours.

20. fatherof4

fatherof4 Well-Known Member

Wait wait wait, you killed 9 coons in one night? Where do you live again? Just kidding. Hope you get your gun back. Have you talked to GF and do you have proof that it is your gun? If so, I don't see why they wouldn't let you have your gun besides, they just want your buddies money anyway. Lol