Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone needs to read the article on the back page of the sports section! If you believe in ethical hunting and fairness to all, this article should be a invitation to the public meetings this month to stand up for what is right.

· Registered
8,602 Posts
Here is what he is talking about:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2012/jan/19/hunters-have-plenty-discuss-20120119/?sports

Don't have an account with them, so I cannot view online & have yet had a chance to read it in copy. Maybe someone has allready read it or can to see what it says, but I have a real good idea based on the rumors I have been told to me by persons who in the know. G&F started letting a little info out on something they had in mind to do about a week or so ago, and it is not a good deal at all in alot of differant ways!!!!!!!

I would suspect what he is referring to is one of the reg proposals the G&F has in mind for the coming season is to do "Completely" away with all Flood Zone restrictions on Private Land inside the flood zones, water levels will no longer warrent closure of these lands but they intend to leave them in force on all public lands as they are at present and those land will be subject to closure because of water levels as they allways have! G&F started letting this info leak out about a week ago so if this is what is be, I suspect that sound you are hearing is the "Stinky Stuff hitting the Fan" cause this is going to be a knock down, drag out fight before it is over with no winners in the end!!!!

· Registered
8,602 Posts
Yep, got a copy & read it, that's is what it is about, No more flood zones on private lands plus some interesting added content.

And another item presented, enhanced APR's to go into effect on public lands, on WMA's inside the Delta region, bucks harvested on the affected WMA's will have to now have to have at least a 15 inch inside spread & also have at least 1 main beam 18 inch's in length. Not either/or, must have both to be legal. WMA's in other parts of the state outside the Delta will also have new enhanced reg's & will have to go by a new reg where bucks harvested will have 12 inch inside spread and 1 main beam at least 15 inch's long. Also not either/or, must also have to have both to be harvested!

Well it's not hard to see what is going on here, is it? Plain & simple, the High $$$ guys down in the Southeast part of the state are going to make ALL do what they want no matter what, the don't want flood rules for them, so no one will have them except the public land hunter that hunt where their deer stay alot of the time, they want spread & beam reg's on their lands so now everyone will have them before it's over with, just start with the public lands first.

Other deer issue's presented, open archery season on Sept 15, make it to where youth mentor's ( I guess those that could that were 65 years old & older) could not carry a gun or harvest a deer during the youth hunts any longer. And change the wording on the Oct. Modern Gun Doe Only hunt to Modern Gun Anterless Only hunt, guess that's for those who don't want to take the time to even make sure it was not a buttonhead!

· Registered
5,045 Posts
Heck us bowhunters might have to switch to blunts and head shoot them so we can just knock them out to give us time to tape measure everything to see if it is legal.:smack: Dang this ain't fishing where if it don't measure up you can release back into the water. Dang there is already enough ground checking been going on the last 12 years under the current antler restrictions of counting points.:smack:

· Registered
9,349 Posts
Yep, got a copy & read it, that's is what it is about, No more flood zones on private lands plus some interesting added content.

And another item presented, enhanced APR's to go into effect on public lands, on WMA's inside the Delta region, bucks harvested on the affected WMA's will have to now have to have at least a 15 inch inside spread & also have at least 1 main beam 18 inch's in length. Not either/or, must have both to be legal. WMA's in other parts of the state outside the Delta will also have new enhanced reg's & will have to go by a new reg where bucks harvested will have 12 inch inside spread and 1 main beam at least 15 inch's long. Also not either/or, must also have to have both to be harvested!

Well it's not hard to see what is going on here, is it? Plain & simple, the High $$$ guys down in the Southeast part of the state are going to make ALL do what they want no matter what, the don't want flood rules for them, so no one will have them except the public land hunter that hunt where their deer stay alot of the time, they want spread & beam reg's on their lands so now everyone will have them before it's over with, just start with the public lands first.

Other deer issue's presented, open archery season on Sept 15, make it to where youth mentor's ( I guess those that could that were 65 years old & older) could not carry a gun or harvest a deer during the youth hunts any longer. And change the wording on the Oct. Modern Gun Doe Only hunt to Modern Gun Anterless Only hunt, guess that's for those who don't want to take the time to even make sure it was not a buttonhead!

Those spread restrictions are too much......

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Spread restrictions are dumb. Spread has very little to do with the age of the deer. If they want to protect young deer and harvest mature deer, that's a lousy way to go about it. A friend of mine killed a NT in Illinois that was over 200" and had a little less than 13" spread.

Who wrote this? Couldn't have been biologists.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The greater issue here is the flood zones! can anyone tell me a sound management reason for doing away with these? Everyone needs to show at the meetings and raise hell about this! I spoke with Mr. Goad today and he pretty much said that the only way this is gonna get shot down is if there is a large turn out against this at the meetings. Commissioner Ron Duncan also said we need to turn out in large numbers against this if we want it done away with.

· Registered
2,149 Posts
So the STATE RECORD NON-TYPICAL would be illegal under these restrictions on alot of WMA and just barely on some. WOW You can't fix stupid.

I guess my life as a poacher is about to begin. :frown: Caus I be danged if I am gonna pass a buck based on his spread.

· Registered
2,149 Posts
So THIS buck I killed this year would only be 1 1/2 inch within those guidelines on some WMA but he would be illegal on the other WMA . No way on God's green Earth I would pass up this deer. How would you figure out if he made that 1 1/2 inch or not? THIS CRAP will make me a poacher cause I will NOT pass up deer like this trying to figure out if it makes up that 1 1/2 inch!

I am so dang mad about this. these guys are such idiots!!

· Registered
23,175 Posts
money is ruling the AG&F ........... plain and simple

at this point guys, I think you are just going to have to kill what you want to kill, tag it if you want to, and police yourself as ethical - the AG&F is too corrupted and what they're doing isn't best for the wildlife management of AR - its what's best for the people who give them the $$$

· Registered
8,602 Posts
So the STATE RECORD NON-TYPICAL would be illegal under these restrictions on alot of WMA and just barely on some.
Ironic, but interesting fact, the current State record and alot of the top deer ever harvested in the state came either from area's that do none of the same deer management plans that the G&G is currently entering into, they kinda still operate by the old fashion standards, the NWR's, or they came from a time way before all of this was even set forth to start with when there was no APR's, shorter seasons, and more reduced bag limits! Now the top deer being harvests only fall into the middle ranges of that list & with each passing year they sink lower & lower down it as we keep advancing this Made in China, Texas game ranch protcal they have decided to operate by!

· Registered
753 Posts
I just called the AG&F and asked the lady about being able to view the actual proposals online. She got rude and told me there wasnt even a meeting at the end of this month and i told here i was on the site and its listed for the 31st. She then told me there was NO WAY of knowing what the proposed changes would be ahead of time and that if i wanted to know what they were to go to the meeting.

I think it would be a good idea to be able to read them ahead of time so we arent just RUSHED through the meetings, wouldn't you agree?

· Registered
8,602 Posts
I just called the AG&F and asked the lady about being able to view the actual proposals online. She got rude and told me there wasnt even a meeting at the end of this month and i told here i was on the site and its listed for the 31st. She then told me there was NO WAY of knowing what the proposed changes would be ahead of time and that if i wanted to know what they were to go to the meeting. I think it would be a good idea to be able to read them ahead of time so we arent just RUSHED through the meetings, wouldn't you agree?
Makes one wonder if there is even a head to this monster??? A man on the G&F Facebook ask about where an "Official" list could be found by him for review before the Jan. 31 meeting, the one some of them don't even know about it appears, so he & other could have time to review them so valid comments could be made. Their fist responce was just a copy & past of the process & meeting formate for making comments, nothing about where this info could be found "Officially"! Here was what he posted back on their Facebook:

Thank's for that info, but not what I was really wanting. I wanted to know what the G&F itself's were proposing for reg changes this coming year so I would know what to comment on. One would think there would be somewhere on your site where this info could be found being it was discussed at this past Commission meeting? But, guess not, but I am lucky cause all of what I wanted just showed up, found all the info I wanted on the back page of todays Demo-Gazzette sports page in an article written my Bryan Hendricks! Pretty well validate most of the rumors I have been hearing about coming changes
Then G&F posted this back in reply to his post:

James, the hunting regulations proposals were not discussed in today's meeting. The Wildlife Management Division is working on the final list of proposals and they should be available tomorrow. They will be posted on the website as soon as they are available.
Now take note on several items of conflit in what one says & what others state, first they said the propsals were NOT discussed in the Commision meeting on the Facebook response, well, the article in paper, yesterday, the 19th leads one to believe otherwise, it says'
"David Goad, cheif of G&G's Wildlife management division presented the topics Wednesday (the 18th) at the Commission's monthly work meeting."
Even has quotes in the article of several Commissioneer's on the issues they were suppose to have discussed, o pardon me, not discussed????

Second, it states the propsals are NOT yet ready to be released yet, Wildlife management is working on them but they should be ready tommorrow (referring to today, the 20th), but someone sure had some propsals to present to the Commissioneer's in a meeting that they say didn't even take place to start with for them to comment on??

and lastly, they state they should be posted for public view when finished on their website, guess they not done yet cause right before this was posted, nothing yet?

Makes one wonder if a flock of chickens chasing a Grasshopper is not more organized than the G&F nowdays?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.