Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a "want" for another revolver. I had been watching several S&W 25 and 625's over the past week. Two went reasonable enough, and I was just out of pocket at the close of the auction and didn't get to bid.

Tonight there was a 25 in .45Colt that I'd love to have had. It was a beaut!!

But I had also been keeping an eye on a Model 10 too!!! For the $400 difference... I bought the Model 10!!!! $400 will load or buy a lot of .38's!!!

And I have plans to make it a gift to my daughter, so a .38 was a good choice I think.

This one really was pretty. It had really nice bluing and came in the box with a set of Hogue's that I'll prolly trade off for some more speedloaders... not too bad and the price was RIGHT!!!

Can't wait for the Big Brown Truck to run!!!:thumb:

·
Administrator
90,660 Posts
Nothing like a Model 10. They were the workhorse of the Smith lineup for probably close to a hundred years. Model 10's were first introduced in the early 1900's, about 1902 or so. My dad has one from back in the 50's that still shoots like a champ. :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My stepdad has had one for what seems like forever. My Mom has a 2" Model 10 that is pristine!!! And she won't let go of it!!

I've got K-frame holsters from when I carried a 66, and speedloaders too, so it seemed like a decent choice for another wheelgun.

And I think it'll make a good first handgun for my daughter too.

I REALLY wanted the 25!! But it wasn't really practical! I've got a .45 Colt Blackhawk that I can barely afford to shoot as it is. Maybe later on, but another .38 was a better choice for now.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man.

I bought the 10 cause I had experience with it, but I looked into all manner of S&W .38's. The array of .38's that S&W has produced is mind boggling!!!

I have always thought I was a pretty knowledgable guy when it came to S&W revolvers, but the more I looked at .38's the more models I found that I had never heard of!!!

I'm about to look for a book on the history of Smith and Wesson firearms and see what I can find. I know Roy Jinks has authored some works, so he'll probably be my starting point.

·
Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Before my wife and I were married, I bought her a 2" model 10 S&W to play with. She got pretty good with it, and only retired it when the Ruger SP101 in 9mm showed up. We still keep it in the "rotation" of guns we practice with, and it's still on duty. An ideal gun for beginner or expert, the mighty model 10! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How ya'll are???

My M&P came in today. I thought from the pics on gunbroker that this gun was in pretty decent shape!!!

Man was I wrong.........

It is in AWESOME shape!!! The bluing is off the scale, the color case on the trigger and hammer look like there is oil on them. The cylinder has the faintest ring I have ever seen on a used revolver. This gun had to have been bought and then laid up in a sock drawer or something. It has no holster wear! The checkering of the wooden grips is crisp and has not the slightest ding or dents. The Hogue Mono-Grips that came with it are brand new and don't appear to have ever been put on the gun. I'm gonna swap the old Hogue's off my Model 66 for these and keep the old ones for spares if I need them down the road.

I almost....ALMOST... hate to shoot this gun much!!! It is just too sweet!!! It came in the original box with all of the original paperwork sans the waxed paper wrapping.

I love this little K-Frame!!!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bro.... I started to try to learn how to post pics about three years ago or more and I STILL ain't got it done!!!

I'm not the brightest star in the sky anyway... but when it comes to techno-intelligence..... I am functionally illiterate!!!!

"Hi... my name is Snydedawg.. .and I'm a dumb---!!" And they all replied.. "Hi, Snydedawg!!!"

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought you were turkey hunting all weekend.. or all week for that matter!!

I'll get up with ya when you get back and you can walk me through the whole picture process!!!

Good luck bro...I hope you get a longbeard and a fat belly from Grandma's cookin'!!!

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
Was gonna head up last night till I checked the weather. I'm thinking with 20 MPH wind and a chance of snow flurries up there tonight I'll save my gas money for another day. Now I just need to get motivated to do something here.

I talked to one of the guys painting next door yesterday. He told me during the rain Thursday a hen and a gobbler came right through my yard headed from West to East, practically down my driveway. Said the gobbler was strutting and putting on a show.:biggrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.