Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

· Premium Member
18,540 Posts
Apex and Federal are the leaders right now. Apex shot much better from my .410. Both shoot very well through my 12.

Rogue is an up and comer that is getting some real attention out there.

Price on all is pretty steep but the day I start trying to justify pricing on all my equipment is probably the day I take up knitting.

It isn't a "must have" item by any means, but it sure is nice to have the reassurance it brings.

· Registered
2,402 Posts
Sonds like most of you guys stay with the factory full choke when using TSS. Would that be correct. Bought a box of Apex 12g for my 870 Express last year. Did not test fire one as didn't want to spend the money. I think I'll pop off one round just to see. So should it be with factory full choke? thanks

· Registered
6,163 Posts
Strictly my opinion - If I was using a 12 ga - I wouldnt change anything - 3" lead turkey loads. If you can't get a turkey within killing range of 12 ga 3" lead loads, you are turkey hunting for the wrong reasons. I do see an advantage of the TSS style loads for smaller gauges.
Agreed, but one advantage is not having to have quite as tight of choke in 12ga. You probably could use TSS and a Mod choke and be fine in 12Ga.
I like the idea of a little more margin for errors in aiming.

· Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The Mossberg I bought last year came with a xx full choke at .670, which really isn’t that tight compared to others. I’m definitely going to shoot a longbeard thru it. I’m just looking at other load options without having to buy a new choke.

· Registered
5,127 Posts
I agree that if you're keeping shot inside 40 yards (even with a 20) that a modified choke could be considered. The pellet density with shot that small is just insane and that extra width to the pattern could be very important, especially with a youngster who may not have the best aim when excited (not that we all can' suffer from this).

21 - 40 of 58 Posts